New
Find
Notify
Tools

Football 130 years ago Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
A joke in the humor forum got me to thinking about the game of American football in the Victorian era.
From the Wayback Machine at New Mexico State in Las Cruces: Mesilla Park, NM, 1897.
Pretty sure player No. 11, Ed Wayland, is my great-great Uncle Ed, who would have been 22 when this photo was taken. The forehead, the mustache and the serious tone seem to fit.
Note on recto of print ''N.M. A. and M. College, 1897 Territorial Champions: No hired men, No headgears, No games lost, No pads, No substitutions except for disabling injury, 2 line substitutes, 1 backfield substitute, NO SISSIE'S: N. End Miller Field: Presented to Athletic Dept. by Bill Sutherland, '98, 1954,'' Portrait of football team, 1. G.M. Williams (time keeper) ('98): 2. Charles M. Barber, RHB, Coach: 3. Walter E. Holt, QB: 4. Morgan O. Llewellyn, F.B.: 5. W. A. (Bill) Sutherland, LHB ('98): 6. Eugene E. Casey, Mgr.(Died in Spanish War) ('98): 7. Sam Laird, Line Sub.: 8. Chas E Mead, R.E. ('98): 9. Henry Jarrell, line sub.: 10. Gene Baird, R.T.: 11. Ed Wayland, R.G.: 12. Pelham Winter, Mascot: 13. Burt Stevens, Center: 14. Geo Gamboa, L.G.: 15. Guy Rausch, L.T.: 16. Wallace Baird, sub. back: 17. I. H. Stanley, L.E. ('98).

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a neat picture!

Those guys were undoubtable, tough!

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Tough indeed! I have a buddy from college who played rugby in England + that was a tough game. "Pads?, We don't need no stinking pads!"

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill.....did they eat enchiladas at La Posta after the games?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, great question. They would have had to ride their horses to get there.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
John, great question. They would have had to ride their horses to get there.

no doubt. and been well worth the trip!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote