New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man looking for a wife in 1865 Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Interesting how different people were so long ago. I do not think there are very many 18YO's who can accomplish so much in the present day. That's because no one expects them to or raises them this way anymore but just think if they did.

~Ann

Posts: 19152 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love it! tu2 And, at what age was a young woman considered a spinster back in those days?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Love it! tu2 And, at what age was a young woman considered a spinster back in those days?

UEG, I bet pretty young by our present standards!

At 18 I was in my second year of college, working at the same time and renting a room and paid my way all the way through. At my age now I still clear woodland for firewood but I use a chain saw and a tractor to get it back to the house. Not a single regret for the hard work either. But even for my generation, it has been vastly different than expectations now.

I can't imagine a hand saw, ax, mule or ox team, etc like this young man had to wrangle to get his land going yet a lot of people did this.

Not sure many of the folks at such an age these days would even consider doing such hard work?

~Ann

Posts: 19152 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I read a book few years ago (can't remember the name now) about diaries of folks going west in the 1800s. This one woman tells in her diary about everyday life in the wagon train (+ damned brutal it was) + I recall at some point in her story just passes in slight mention, oh, + BTW, gave birth today. Some tough ladies,eh? Remember Kipling's poem of "The Female of the Species". As to the query about aged spinsterhood, most girls were married off at 14-15, maybe 16. By the time they were 18-20 they were in the spinster category. Remember that back then they started birthing at 14-16 with an age expentency of 45. As to the young mans advert; in those days he would be considered quite a catch,especially with all his teeth. (Would be today too, I would think)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ann
That just goes to show the changes on social norms over time

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote