Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Call Yourself A Roofer Login/Join 
one of us
posted
That's all it takes in Texas. https://www.dallasnews.com/new...-roof-this-is-texas/

Last year after a hail storm I had 23 roofers ring my door bell and want to give me a free inspection. One said he saw damage from the ground. One showed-up in a military uniform. Another one was holding a puppy when I answered the door. Twenty-percent of the homes in our HOA got news roofs. I had my roofer take a look. He said I was fine.

Rule #1 don't EVER select a roofer that just rang your door bell.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ken you are so right; that is akin to buying from a telemarketer. Most in the roofing trades (the employees anyway are pretty brain dead). I had to deal with my insurance company for years because I was a sheet metal shop that I was categorized as a roofing outfit, not the shop mfg. that I am. Roofers have a much higher premium cost.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
About 15 years ago we had a bad hail storm. My mom was taking care of my house at the time. A roofer knocked on my door and told her I had called him to inspect the roof. He also used my given name, not Lee, which I have been called since I was two weeks old. She asked “Really? He called you from Afghanistan?“ and shut the door in his face.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Insurance lawyer here. Lots of fraud out there. Everyone wants a free roof. Needed or not.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The great thing about living in a rural area, my front gate stays locked, keeps the "salesmen" and other assorted undesirables out. And yes, I am an old curmudgeon.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny story. I used to work with a guy that was born in 41 + lived in San Antonio in the depth of the door to door salesmen. They had a fenced in front yard. And a German Sheppard that was trained (in Chinese)by a local Chinese merchent that liked the dog to allow anyone to enter the yard, but no one to leave. Dave tells the story of coming home from school + have half a dozen salesmen sitting on the steps. Easy to figure out; if they were trapped, they DAMNED sure would not inform the other salesmen.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I've met several fly by night roofers at the Post Office.
They watch the weather to target a hail storm which hit in a large suburban area.
Once they select the area, they rent a house, get a PO Box, get a local cell phone number and print a few thousand cards to make themselves appear local. They will usually stay in an area for 6-18 months, then turn off the phone and close out the PO box.

I've listened to far too many horror stories from homeowners being taken by this kind of BS.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see what you mean. The VERY day that the hail storm hit, there were signs up all over town offering repair wok, claims, etc. Just like buzzards on a roost.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I can see what you mean. The VERY day that the hail storm hit, there were signs up all over town offering repair wok, claims, etc. Just like buzzards on a roost.

We have a lot of vinyl siding, same story. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Not a roofer but a vacumn salesman in an unfamiliar car came to my door. He parked his unfamiliar car next door on the street, it had an out of state license. I kept telling him I was busy and wouldn't let him in the door. Finally I was getting hot and let the 357 revolver in my right hand come from my back to my side and he said, "Oh I see you're busy." He still went to the next door neighbor's house but I kept a watch on him. I guess he was just pushy. But after woking several years of nights at the local prison I was becoming less than polite to strangers at my door. Be Well and get a peddlers license if you sell door to door in my town. Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with any display of weaponry to intimidate. Now if you were just cleaning the revolver, and he interrupted you, I don't see a problem.

(Some of the lawyers among us could clarify what is allowed.) On a number of occasions I've held a loaded gun, unseen, against a door jam. I didn't exactly have a cleaning rod on me, but I could get one.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I was preparing to stand my ground in a castle doctrine state. You don't see out of state plates and it didn't look like his car was broken down. I'm also getting older and have spial problems. You see a case building for self defense? There's more if you want. Thanks and Be Well, Packy.