Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOST RESTAURANTS OF NOLA Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in New Orleans with foodie parents, this list brings back a ton of memories. My dad still lives there, and when ever I go visit, we always go to a few favorites. I think I have been to almost every place on that list!

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate:
Having grown up in New Orleans with foodie parents, this list brings back a ton of memories. My dad still lives there, and when ever I go visit, we always go to a few favorites. I think I have been to almost every place on that list!

Yeah, several of them were regular spots growing up. Fitzgeralds, Christians, others. Sad story, civilization lost.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In east St. Mary Parish all we have now are
Chinese an Mexican restaurants

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nate:

You ever stop in Teddy's Grill out by the lake? They had a big fiberglass Black Angus out front.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget LeRuth's!Green Godess dressing&Popeye's red beans&rice!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Health inspector would shut all those down if they still existed. Wink And we wonder why we have so many allergies.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Health inspector would shut all those down if they still existed. Wink And we wonder why we have so many allergies.

Grizz

Dunno what kinda inspectors ya have up north but a top rest in NOLA ain't gonna cut corners on anything, especially hygiene.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We didn't have many "top" restaurants back in those days.Lots of "holes in the wall" serving great food at great values.Many have survived&more have opened.Anyone can find a wonderful meal for$100+/couple;in NO you can find great meals for$40/couple.
I don't think many in NO have food allergies.They do have super antibodies to enteric pathogens.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I liked going to Kolb's. Liked watching the antique belt driven ceiling fans. Wonder what happened to them after the storm? Very valuable.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forest,Kolb's is gone.There is also a book same title,even more depressing.Don't miss them 'til there gone!But natura vacuum abhorret,especially true for NO restaurants.There are more now than before THE storm!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Kim, we visited a little over a year after the storm. The city was much improved, vastly cleaner, lots of the riff raff was in jail in Houston by then, tons of new restaurants. Kolb's was still there, but closed. I lusted after those fans, they probably got scrapped, are very valuable to collectors of early industrial Americana. A shame.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,There are even more restaurants now,if that's possible.Food quality has taken a quantum leap up but prices are higher also.All in all quite nice actually.Most of the big name restaurants have second tier food compared to the upstarts.But then Purdey bolt rifles will never equal H&W.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That was our impression, more and better restaurants, higher prices, but still worth it. Still plenty of dives and off the beaten track hole in the wall places. Overall, a much improved town still with all the character & mystique.