THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Anheuser-Busch Betting On Tesla Rival

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anheuser-Busch Betting On Tesla Rival Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Hydrogen fuel cells more desirable than batteries for long haul freight.

quote:

Anheuser-Busch orders 800 hydrogen-powered semi trucks from Tesla rival Nikola

by Peter Valdes-Dapena @peterdrives

May 3, 2018: 2:08 PM ET

Anheuser-Busch has a long history of finding creative ways to move beer. It was the first company to use refrigerated rail cars in the 1870s. Much more recently, it shipped 50,000 cases of beer 120 miles using a self-driving semi truck.

Today it announced an order for up to 800 semi trucks powered by hydrogen gas as part of a bid to make its entire fleet of long-haul trucks run on "clean energy."

The hydrogen trucks are being built by Nikola Motor Company. The name Nikola just happens to be the first name of Nikola Tesla, the same Serbiain-born inventor the Tesla (TSLA) car company is named after.

Last year, Anheuser-Busch placed an order for 40 Tesla plug-in semi trucks.

The two companies weren't originally competitors, until Tesla unveiled its entry into the semi business in November, 2017. Nikola recently filed suit against Tesla accusing the carmaker of stealing Nikola's designs. Tesla has publicly denied the charge.

But Anheuser-Busch isn't staging a contest between the two trucks. Both will manage different parts of the beer's journey said Ingrid DeRyck, Anheuser-Busch's vice president for sustainability.

Anheuser-Busch delivers Bud in self-driving truck

The Nikola and Tesla trucks both run on electricity. But instead of storing power in battery packs, the way Tesla's semis do, the Nikola trucks have tanks of compressed hydrogen gas. The gas is fed into hydrogen fuel cells where it's combined with oxygen from the air in a process that produces water as well as electricity to power the truck.

Nikola's semi trucks run on compressed hydrogen gas and produce only water as exhaust. Nikola's hydrogen-powered trucks have considerably higher range than Tesla's battery-powered semis. They can go anywhere from 500 to 1,200 miles on full tanks, depending on driving conditions and load, according to Nikola. Tesla's long range trucks can travel only 500 miles on a full charge.

And since they run on compressed gas, Nikola's trucks can also refill in just 20 minutes, or about the same time it takes to fill the big tanks on a diesel-powered semi truck, said Nikola CEO Trevor Milton. Tesla has said its trucks will be able to charge for as much as a 400 mile drive in 30 minutes.

The beer brewer plans to cut its overall greenhouse gas emissions by 25% by 2025, she said, and these trucks will play a big part in that. Anheuser-Busch declined to say how much it has agreed to pay for Nikola trucks.

The biggest challenge for hydrogen vehicles is finding places to refuel them. To solve that problem, Nikola sells fueling networks along with its trucks. As part of its deal with Anheuser-Busch, Nikola will build 28 fueling stations strategically placed around the country to serve the beer company's distribution routes. The stations will also be available to other drivers of hydrogen powered cars, Milton added.

Nikola says it will build about 700 fueling stations over the next seven years. Hydrogen doesn't exist naturally as a free-floating gas, and must be separated from substances such as water or natural gas. The hydrogen for Nikola's trucks will be created using only renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power, the company said.

Anheuser-Busch hopes to have all 800 trucks in its fleet by 2020, but the beermaker will begin testing the first pre-production semis later this year, said Milton.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't place a lot of value on the thoughts of a company that thinks Bud Orange is the next big thing.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And here I thought they were planning on going back to horses ? Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Budweiser quit using the Clydesdales in their Christmas commercials and the NFL halftime ads, they stepped in it. When they quit sponsoring NASCAR, they broke it. Europeans may make good beer, and a lot of it, but they don't understand Americans and their beer, and why they drink it.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

I wouldn't place a lot of value on the thoughts of a company that thinks Bud Orange is the next big thing.

Haven't been thirsty enough to drink an A-B product since the 80's... and that was when I didn't know any better.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

Haven't been thirsty enough to drink an A-B product since the 80's... and that was when I didn't know any better.

I dunno how much beer you drink, but if you are a regular beer drinker, I'd bet pretty serious money that you've drank an Anheuser Bush product in the last year as has almost any beer drinker unless they only drink one beer.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
List of Budweiser brands:

10 Barrel Brewing Co | Bass | Becks | Best Damn | Blue Point Brewing Co | Boddington's | Breckenridge Brewery | Bud Ice | Bud Light | Bud Light Lime | Bud Light Platinum | Budweiser | Busch | Busch Ice | Busch Light | Chelada | Elysian Brewing | Estrella Jalisco | Faust | Four Peaks Brewing Co | Franziskaner | Golden Road Brewing | Goose Island Beer Co | Hoegaarden | Hurricane High Gravity | King Cobra | Kirin Ichiban | Kokanee Glacier Beer | Land Shark Lager | Leffe | Lime-a-Rita | Michelob Amberbock | Michelob Golden Draft | Michelob Ultra | Mixxtail | Montejo | Natty Daddy | Natural Ice | Natural Light | Oculto | O'Doul's | Presidente | Redbridge Lager | Rolling Rock | Select 55 | Shock Top | Spaten | SpikedSeltzer | St Pauli Girl | Stella Artois | Stella Artois Cidre |
Teavana | Virtue Cider | Wild Blue | Ziegenbock

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I am safe. I did drink a Bass or two but that was before the AB-InBev purchase.

My mainstays today are Windhoek Draft and Sweetwater IPA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, hydrogen is gonna save us ? Great for southern USers, but picture an impenetrable loud of ice fog and icing on the road way wherever the temperature drops below freezing . Big Grin Hydrogen also takes vast quantities of electricity toproduce, might be better spent on electric cars. Duh.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.businessinsider.in...cleshow/61988346.cms

Whatever becomes the standard diesel is on a slow road out of then trucking landscape. I also think truck drivers are on the way out too.

Future of trucking will be autonomous.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever becomes the standard diesel is on a slow road out of then trucking landscape. I also think truck drivers are on the way out too.

Really, then how do you think the vast quantity of produce and product that the US produces will move to a final destination? I've read that without truckers most major cities would be without food in the stores in about 3 days. Regardless of your thoughts on the matter, I think people won't lose the habit of eating regularly.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Really, then how do you think the vast quantity of produce and product that the US produces will move to a final destination? I've read that without truckers most major cities would be without food in the stores in about 3 days. Regardless of your thoughts on the matter, I think people won't lose the habit of eating regularly.

Same number of trucks adjusted for gdp factor just electric and autonomous where allowed by law.

Electric vehicles can tow

https://www.google.com/amp/s/e...87-9-dreamliner/amp/

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

It's hard enough to prevent train wrecks when they are limited to defined paths on unmovable tracks.
I'll be curious to see who Workhorse chooses for autonomous software for their hybrid electric vans.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

It's hard enough to prevent train wrecks when they are limited to defined paths on unmovable tracks.
I'll be curious to see who Workhorse chooses for autonomous software for their hybrid electric vans.

I once invested in some trucking companies. Taking to the ceo I asked how he starts his week.

He said every Monday he got memo from risk on the accidents and people killed by their trucks.

Autonomous vechiles will significantly reduce the 40k plus Americans killed on the road each year.

Mike

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
So what you're saying is that I need to figure out how to hack the software controlling the autonomous Bud-hauling, hydrogen-burning semis and have one drop off a few low-carbon-footprint cases of brew at the house on the way by. Now I only have to find the next Angelina Jolie "Hacker" for the job...

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote