Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sign of a failed educational system Login/Join 
one of us
posted
A good friend's wife is a 12th grade high school teacher. On a recent multiple-choice competency test given to incoming seniors, 83 out of 83 students could not correctly identify an internal combustion engine piston and connecting rod! No doubt due to woke influence of curriculum. I'm sure they know what windmills and solar panels look like though.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bet they could ID what gender a pic of a tranny originated as though

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the old days, the instruction manual told you how to rebuild the transmission, now it tells you not to drink the battery acid. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Interesting story (to me)

In 6th grade (1973) we had a liberal arts teacher come to class once or twice a week. This was before I knew what liberal arts meant. Basically an art and music teacher.

We we're sitting in a circle, teacher reaches into her bag and takes out this thing , painted gray and splattered with black dots and stripes, and places it on the floor.

Almost before she asked what it was,
I said "A carburetor" .

She ask me if my father was an auto mechanic,
I said, "no, he sells office furniture".

I didn't realize at the time that I blew a hole in her lesson plan.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a video of a couple of millineals trying + not succeeding to answer a rotary dial phone.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my son joined the navy in the mid 90s he told me that in basic that there were guys that had graduated from high school but could not tie their shoes + had never used a pencil in their life.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A good friend's wife is a 12th grade high school teacher

She is part of the problem.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One day I was conducting a pistol qualification course and a DETECTIVE loaded his STAGGERED magazine with one round facing forward and one round facing backwards on his newly issued Glock!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hipshoot:
One day I was conducting a pistol qualification course and a DETECTIVE loaded his STAGGERED magazine with one round facing forward and one round facing backwards on his newly issued Glock!

Hip[/QUOTE

I conducted LEO Qualification courses for decades
Things like this do happen.

Military M16 mags have a bullet shape on the follower to show how they should be loaded.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And another guy had ALL the rounds loaded ass backwards!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the original subject for a moment; I think that the real problem is in the courts, telling the teachers what + what not to teach. Add to that elimination of truth in history to, pacify PC tender feelings + thus teach the kids NOTHING except that the kids should not feel, bad about themselves by failing, so lowering the standards for EVERYONE to pacify the stupid! Anyone with a 1st grade education could figure that this is a sure fire way to destroy a country! So, is the agenda of the current administration? Damned sure looks like it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, truly, I can't blame it all on the current administration; it has been going on for years, under both parties. WHY!!!? What is the purpose of making our next generation totally stupid?!! That is a VERY valid question that deserves answers. I have many friends from college that took the teaching career + are retired now + universally they said that they would never do it again due to all the political BS + total lack of teaching the truth.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It seems if parents want their children to get a quality education and not an indoctrination they need to act fast. That's also been a big part of the problem, parents simply do not pay attention to the situation.

Nobody stayed home after they graduated high school in my day. They just about all do now.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh man! You guys are so right! I was never taught the workings of an internal combustion engine either in grammar school or university when studying for my degree in Physics. I guess I should sue them for something or other! Don't they know what is important? There should be a mandatory course in school for how to use a rotary dial phone and how to tie shoe laces. In fact these items should be part of the state proficiency testing. After all, it is the schools responsibility to ensure that graduating students know these things. As to books, don't get me started on that topic. We should burn some of these damn books. In fact we should burn them all. They are all written by commies. The Nazis had some things right! No real hard working American writes books for heavens sake! We are too busy working on our cars and a/c units. All this book learning crap is just that! Crap! Schools should teach kids how to load high capacity pistol magazines and other real world stuff! Maybe teach them how to count up to 18, 30 if you are going into the military.
BTW, I am obviously over educated, so perhaps someone can post a video ( none of this book learning crap.. don't get me started again) on HOW to load a round backwards in a high capacity pistol magazine. I cannot do that! The stupid magazine seems to be designed by some over educated moron at the factory to prevent me from doing that! Help!
Definitely a failed educational system!

Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chuckle about Peters post.
When I was in school, industrial arts was a required class. Part of which was understanding the internal workings of the combustion engine.
I know it is still offered as a course at my old school, it's taught at a trade school. The student has to provide their own transportation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great post back40! In school I had to take woodworking and Technical Drawing. While enjoyable, it was also frustrating, because I was not very good at either. Some years ago I had some rental properties and decided to take a course in a/c (refrigeration) repair at evening class. This was taught at one of the trade schools run by the school district. I was fine with everything except soldering the copper pipe and fittings! The other guys were clueless about the reason why rerigerators and a/c units work, but could solder fittings so easily it just wasn't funny!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing about a lot of the classes in high school is actually retention of knowledge.

I remember our science classes covering the gas laws and remember the teacher stating that these were the scientific basis of much of modern society- like the internal combustion engine, refrigeration, etc.

Most of my peers do not even remember the gas laws, much less the applications of them.

Now, I do think the schools have lost their way in that they spend way too much time doing things the students like, and not enough on what they need to master to be functional adults.

Too much on arts and humanities (which in my opinion, if you are interested in them are a lifelong subject of learning, not school); too much on phy ed (ditto); too much on current events and identity politics...

Not enough on older subjects like government (how it works, not how to be an activist); applied physics, applied chemistry; applied biology; and elementary engineering (how science and math is applied to actual problems.)

They should be much more attuned to actual achievement and getting rid of social promotion is key. If you cannot read, what is the point of a literature class? If you can't add, chemistry and physics are a black magical art. If the person can't identify the three branches of government and their roles, they are incapable of making a reasoned vote.

I am all for some strict standards for graduation, but they do need to keep their hands out of politicizing them.

Posts: 10571 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, a little sandpaper to both parts so they are clean, and you can solder like a pro!
I wish more places offered classes at trade schools on nights or weekends. I think many people could make use of them. Some of the kids that had a chance to reflect, they should have done things differently in school, could have another chance too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter, a little sandpaper to both parts so they are clean, and you can solder like a pro!

Damn! That's all?
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of the kids that had a chance to reflect, they should have done things differently in school, could have another chance too.

Good idea, but...... I knew the guy who was principal of the trade school. He told me that about once a month some kid would threaten to beat him up!
Not all the folks who attend trade schools are hell bent on learning a new skill. That unfortunately is the reality of our educational system.

"If the person can't identify the three branches of government and their roles, they are incapable of making a reasoned vote."
True. Thats why they have classes in "Civics" etc. which many kids regard as "bullshit" classes.
Parents and upbringing do play a role in the success or failure of "the educational system".
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a happier note Peter,
I stayed in touch with my IA teacher.
I learned so much from him, welding, woodworking, engines and so on. And he was a gun guy!
After he left the school, he went to work for the prison system. He continually said it was the best job he ever had.
The inmates had to have so much time of good behavior to get into his welding class. They knew any acting out would get them tossed. He said they were all motivated to learn the trade and to get a job when they got out. He looked forward to each class with them, as they did to him.
Way better than getting threatened, for doing a good thing for people.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I predict petrol fueled internal combustion engines will rule for the foreseeable future. Unless there is a massive energy secret being withheld from the worlds people, no other form of energy is as concentrated, transportable, refuellable, storable and reliable. In fact, it takes massive quantities to mine the precious rare earths the greenies crave. This failure to accept reality will be their undoing.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, their failure to accept reality has not slowed them down so far. Just look at the state of the nation under the current administration. Meanwhile, here in Texas it is inconceivable but possible for enough folks to vote Beto in to the Governor's seat. Now THAT'S scary!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Can you explain how she is part of the problem?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:

I’m confused as well Jason!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She is NOT the problem. The higher ups who decide what the teachers must teach are the problem. I have a lot of friends from college that went on to become teachers + ALL of them are glad to be retired now, + not have to deal with the BS passed down from on high not to mention the total lack of any discipline

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
not to mention the total lack of any discipline

You are correct! I was a substitute teacher for 2 years, and the biggest complaint other teachers had was lack of support from the principal on disciplinary matters. The principals were scared that parents would "call downtown" (ie. to the school board) and complain, therefore affecting their future careers. Remember this is "public" education! "
As to: "deal with the BS passed down from on high" I don't think that teaching is the only profession that has this problem. Teaching has it's problems, but it also has its satisfactions, few though they may be!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not always the teachers or the educational systems----It is the PARENT'S that don't slap the shit out of their kids when necessary and proper!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hip, that is true. I kept my boys on a tight leash, somewhat + yes they did get into some minor scrapes
as any kid would, but never anything serious.
Peter, mine, was a major in History. My friends were in a sociology degree; thus 'really the only recourse was teaching school'. But for what they paid teachers back then + now, I suppose that there was no point in teaching history as I could make tons more money building historic restorations + replications out of sheet metal. When a few years ago, when the bottom dropped out of the construction industry, I entertained the thought of using the degree to teach history. I was quickly informed by my old friends that I REALLY didn't want to do that. What a shame that is to the youth of our culture to not be able to tell them the truth, but apparently that is now forbidden in our school system, + HORROR OF HORRORS, I am required by law to finance it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the school districts in my state have gone back to corporal punishment this year. The STUDENTS asked for this. They are tired of disruptive drama by some of their peers.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEAT THE HELL OUTA THEM! Big Grin Roll Eyes Eeker

It's good for the cardio! dancing

Hip

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Education failed the minute it started moving away from the parents being part of it.

In the school where my daughter was, they had a policy that a parent can come to school anytime, and go to the classroom.

I used to do that quite often, and children of different ages visited our house very often as a school trip.

They enjoyed being close to our animals, and inter acting with them.

My wife actually setup a mini zoo at the school, where they had iguanas, hedgehogs, turtles and so one.

The school appointed a team of kids to look after them every week.

The kids absolutely love it.

Kids used to run to me at the school gate screaming "Saeed, can I come shoot at your house?"

When my daughter moved to college, we did the same thing with a mini zoo, and added birds too.

The government here supports a system where the parents and the school are responsible for the kids.

And it certainly works.

In the UK parents are not allowed to take pictures or videos of their kids at school??

Here I used to set up my video camera, and take photos and videos of all events.

I made copies, sometimes several dozens, to share with the school and the parents.

It got to the point where parents stopped brining cameras themselves.

Saying "you take much better pictures than me!"

And as we do not have much PC here, some of the pictures I took were not very flattering to some of the parents and teachers.

No one complained, just enjoyed the fun of it.

I did get called a few choice unsavory names though! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pendulum of time swings. Saeed, your nation was a once the world power, now ours is (? + for how long?) When common sense goes out the door, everything else follows. I recall in the dark ages when I was in HS + the paddle was the punishment for unruly students. so in shop class, I built Mr. Dwyer a paddle that I drilled out to hold several spikes made out of 1/4" doweling rod then sharpened in a pencil sharpener + glued into the paddles holes. Then spray-painted, of course; to hang on Coach Dwyer's wall behind his desk. Funny, after that he had NO more disciplinary problems. But then again, that is the name of the game in our whole lives of conflict resolution; I.E., get the other guy to give you what you want without violence + make him think that it was his idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
quote:
quote:

me too i think the problem is the people that think the teachers are the problem. my son in law tells my grandkids to argue with the teachers when they disagree with em. and thats just the tip of the iceberg! his father is a retired principal and his mother is a retired teacher, and he detests his mother. doesn't take freud to figger that one out. unless they are pushing CRT on the kids, the teachers are NOT the problem.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of the school districts in my state have gone back to corporal punishment this year.

Ann, please let ue know how that works! I think that corporal punishment for Middle and High school kids will be counter productive. Misbehaving kids of that age will regard it as a badge of honor among their peers, and, if it is brutal, it will be counter productive for a different reason. Maybe in Saeed's country they will just behead them!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
Some of the school districts in my state have gone back to corporal punishment this year.

Ann, please let ue know how that works! I think that corporal punishment for Middle and High school kids will be counter productive. Misbehaving kids of that age will regard it as a badge of honor among their peers, and, if it is brutal, it will be counter productive for a different reason. Maybe in Saeed's country they will just behead them!
Peter.

If I see anything I will post it for you. When I was in grade school there was for sure such punishment but brutal? No. I don't think there were many kids who were able to make it a badge of honor but most people behaved then and life was certainly different. Most kids were polite and not inclined to be trouble makers. We live in different times now so I expect that the 'mileage' will differ. Who knows?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
quote:
quote:

me too i think the problem is the people that think the teachers are the problem. my son in law tells my grandkids to argue with the teachers when they disagree with em. and thats just the tip of the iceberg! his father is a retired principal and his mother is a retired teacher, and he detests his mother. doesn't take freud to figger that one out. unless they are pushing CRT on the kids, the teachers are NOT the problem.

Thank you for that post John tu2

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of it is, if you whack your kids ass when they
need it. The law will lock yours up for doing it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of it is, if you whack your kid's ass when they
need it. The law will lock yours up for doing it.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
I saw a video of a couple of millineals trying + not succeeding to answer a rotary dial phone.

My mom and dad still use one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote