Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flood Insurance Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
In Norther lower Michigan There was massive flooding in Edenville( Dam broke) and forced the water over the banks of sanford lake which causes massive flooding,and trickled down to Midland and Saginaw,Michigan. To Make a long story short There is scam. You can buy flood insurance retroactive and People are falling for it. What is wrong with People.

Posts: 114 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common sense and logic are not that common any more. They have been replaced by stupidity.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
ts all about the buck. There is so much dishonesty in business today it makes me sick. Case in point, I cancelled my homeowners policy + went with another company. I contacted the former + told them I was cancelling because their prices had tripled in one year with NO claims on my part. I told them that I'm sorry for your claims losses due to hailstorms in West Texas or wildfires in Colorado but that's not MY problem. Meanwhile, I see that you have not changed your lifestyle, that pissed them off. Now I keep getting bills from them even after I cancelled. I just write on the invoice, This policy has been cancelled + I don't owe you anything.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh, an addendum to that. They emailed my son, who has not a policy from them for several years. Saying that I needed to provide them with proof that I had another policy with another Ins. Co. WHAT!! That's none of their business. As far as I'm concerned when I call + say this policy is cancelled + then not pay the bill then it should be apparent that we are not doing business.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!! A policy with another company is none of their damn business. I would suppose that those flood insurance policies are based on a 'claims made' basis, so why should it matter to them? Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something called the fortuity doctrine would prevent someone from buying insurance from a loss that has already occurred in almost all jurisdictions. Not offering legal advice here, but it's pretty standard among most states. Dates back to the old maritime insurance polices.

If the ship made it over the horizon and later sank, you could buy insurance for the loss before you knew it sank. But if you saw it start to sink, you couldn't.

Almost all states preclude the ability to buy insurance for a known loss or "ongoing loss", sometimes also called the fortuity doctrine. (certain some really weird exceptions which don't look to apply here, mostly manuscript policies with huge premiums specifically designed to cover known losses and the parties are just gambling on how big the loss will be). Again, this is not legal advice.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that; however since one placed no claim + cancelled the policy, I see no reason why it should be a concern of the previous Ins. Co. Plus you're a smart enough attorney to mention twice that this was not legal advice. But thanks for your input. Really.