New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms records Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Just wondering how you guys document your firearm collection

I would think good records of description ,make and model , serial numbers , etc . Would be invaluable if ever they were stolen or burnt up in a fire .

Also might want to electronic file this info as well , along with pictures and value .

I was thinking there may be some format or info sheets available ,where you just fill in the blanks

Also may help a lot in the event that the owner passes away , the collection would be documented and valued .

What do you guys do ?

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and Word documents, backed up to the cloud.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Personal Firearms Record booklet is available from the ATF. The publication number is P3312.8. At my gunshop we give them to customers with every gun purchase.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Like George- Excel, but with embedded Photos.
Backed up with all other records, personal and financial.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the fact of hacking/spying/snooping of anything computer related I vote for the good old fashioned paper documentation. Be sure to make two copies and keep one in a safety deposit box.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree. A few years ago I contacted Sturm/Ruger with a design that would hopefully start a new line.No response back from R+D.However before sending the shop drawings I made a dated copy + mailed the original back to me certified/unopened. A poor man's patent. It goes in the safe box. You are covered if someone uses your idea.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote