THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    authentication of elmer keith's "dope bag" correspondence????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

authentication of elmer keith's "dope bag" correspondence???? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
today i found a typewritten letter from elmer keith, written to a man in tyler tx.... the letter is on keith's personal letterhead backed by the american rifleman... dated 25th march 1
1952... it offers advice on reloading .300 h&h and .375 h&h with barnes bullets.... its signed by keith in pencil... i'd like to get the letter appraised....and authenticated.... its in very good condition, having been sealed in a book for 40 plus yrs.... thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
During his lifetime, I received several "Dope Bag" replies from Mr. Keith. I also corresponded with him regarding purchasing a couple of rifles. I am a manuscript editor-book designer. And years ago I was a copy editor for the St. Louis Globe-Democrat. What impressed me most with our correspondence was how poorly he communicated. What you read, that has been published, was edited via the "Maxwell Perkins school of manuscript editing." The most obvious markers persuasive of authenticity would be near illiteracy, incoherence, and a bazillion typographical errors via manual typewriter.

Please note my comments have zero to do with the information he furnished. It was painful to extract it.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naphtal---have several type written and signed letters and notes from Elmer and I know what you are talking about.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
the letter i have has seversl mispelled words and was typed on a manual typewriter.... i'm sure that there was no spell-check available in 1952...i've seen a book on ebay that is a compilation of correspondence with a "gun writer".... just wondering what the collectibilty of this letter is and its value...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Market value of an item depends upon its market -- that is, how many people are willing to [compete to] own the item, ubiquity of documents by the person in question. How many personal letters and other correspondence of Mr. Keith's survive?

Antiquarian book dealers and document sellers can furnish accurate appraisal. I suspect the letter is worth little on the open market, that its sentimental value is its worth.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote