Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

table salvage question Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
when we moved last we took an old picnic table with us that was old when we moved TO the place we left in 2001. its still sturdy and just too damn good to throw out and we use it a lot. has built in benches etc. was painted white but u can barely see any paint. its down to bare wood mostly. i don't want to just slap another coat of paint on it as its drying out and needs to be "reoiled". so....a few coats of tung oil and a sealer then paint or....?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure wouldn't hurt to sand it a little first, freshen the wood up before you oil it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was really hoping no one would bring that up! but since SOME OF YOU did, i dug out my old jitterbug sander and got it done. the frame is made of 2x6 bolted together, the seats and top are 2x4s nailed on. whoever built it even set the nails with a nail set as each nail has a divot in the head. i got out my nail set and hammered a few in that were popping out. gonna fill in the cracks tomorrow then sand again when it dries, then either oil and seal or paint.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those old picnic tables make the best shooting benches. Sturdy, wont move on you and you can turn it for left and right handedshooters.

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i actually could do that as its on the back porch where we can sit and see deer in the morning as we be sipping our coffee. course i'd be the next one shot. she likes to see the deer. she likes to eat em too but somehow thats a disconnect with her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did the right thing John.
It would have deteriorated much faster without the sanding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea ur right. so we went to lowes and got wood filler stuff and grabbed a coupla my old putty knifes and filled in all the cracks and holes and knots. then jitterbugged it when dry. just finished. i look like refugie from a sandstorm but i hate to do things half ass. tomorrow.....WE PAINT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only good thing you can say about sanding is " whew, it's done"!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would say, the use of an electric or air sander. I have "fond" memories of sanding by hand.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I would say, the use of an electric or air sander. I have "fond" memories of sanding by hand.

yea, as stated, i used my jitterbug. thats an electric sander. or air. there are both kinds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John. as you are going to paint as apposed to stain..... you could have used one of the paint-able silicones. They don't shrink, didn't have to re-sand after filling, easy to get down deep into cracks. Done now, but in another 10 years when you do it again!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea i shoulda thought of that