Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is tough! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Last weekend, I was having a coffee at the village store. I was talking to a fellow I have known for years on the porch. He lost part of his leg and foot when a log pile rolled on him while he was cutting and crushed it to mush. He has a prostetic and you would never know with his pants and shoes on.
There were also some highschool age boys on the porch. They were playing with a lighter, seeing how long they could hold their hand over the flame.
Chris looked at them, and said " you kids think your tough? This is tough"
He took his Buck knife, folder out, and drove it down through his sneaker into his prostetic foot. He walked off the porch with the knife sticking up out of his "foot". Those boys just stood there with their mouth open as he got in his truck and drove away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT'S NOTHING!

I knew a woman who bled for 5 days straight every month for 40 yrs. and is still alive to this day! Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1806 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony
That is funny, I have heard of people shooting a hole in the prostetic but not a knife

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1503 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then there's the one about the old trapper who goes into the barber shop + needs a shave in a hurry; barber says it will take time to heat the towels, etc. The guy says, I don't have the time, just dry shave me. The barber says that that will hurt to which the old trapper says, B.S! I can take it; I've only been hurt twice in my whole life. The barber's curiosity is piqued + while he's shaving him + asks about the 2 times. The old guy says that the 1st time was when he was trapping in the deep snow + one morning came out of his tent to take a dump + low + behold it was right on top of the pan of a bear trap which came up + grabbed him by the cod sack. "Yeah, that was the 1st time I was hurt." The barber was impressed, but was curious about the 2nd time he was hurt, to which he replied, "When the chain ran out of slack."

Posts: 4147 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris was always a character, loosing part of a leg didn't change him.
At the county field days ( fair) one year, he and his step-son signed up for the 3 legged race. He unstrapped his leg and sent the boy running like hell with the prostetic.
He listened to jump stories from a couple of us, and got the bug to do it. He found a place that did tandem parachute jumps, and did it. The only problem came was when they landed, his leg was gone. He didnt know when it came off, he was so excited. They had it on the radio, to be on the look-out over such and such an area for his leg. Someone found it a day or two later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an RAF pilot in WW2 that lost both legs but continued to fly; his name escapes me now, but I think it might have been Baden. Anyway, when he was shot down + taken as a POW, he kept trying to escape, so the Germans threatened to take away both his legs.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Douglas Bader

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4455 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When trucking I worked with two of the guys that had lost a leg each when a load of pipe unloaded all over them. A third man was killed.

Virgil Mayo and I were were on a trailer moving 9" pipe from the rack onto the trailer. The guy on the far end hooked the wrong joint and one fell and crushed Virgil's plastic foot and he never knew it. It scared me to see it fall on his foot.

I grabbed his arm and asked: "are you ok?" "yeah why?" "Look at your foot." "son of a bitch I'm glad it was that foot and not the other one." "Help me a bit." I hadn't realized what had happened until he dropped his pants and unhooked the leg straps. Two of us helped him off the trailer and I drove him to the prosthetic place to have a new foot put on.

We were back to the yard in less than two hours.

One of those; Hell of a deal things.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5936 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When trucking I worked with two of the guys that had lost a leg each when a load of pipe unloaded all over them. A third man was killed.

Virgil Mayo and I were were on a trailer moving 9" pipe from the rack onto the trailer. The guy on the far end hooked the wrong joint and one fell and crushed Virgil's plastic foot and he never knew it. It scared me to see it fall on his foot.

I grabbed his arm and asked: "are you ok?" "yeah why?" "Look at your foot." "son of a bitch I'm glad it was that foot and not the other one." "Help me a bit." I hadn't realized what had happened until he dropped his pants and unhooked the leg straps. Two of us helped him off the trailer and I drove him to the prosthetic place to have a new foot put on.

We were back to the yard in less than two hours.

One of those; Hell of a deal things!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5936 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised they had one on hand, or foot in his case. I thought those parts would all be custom jobs.