THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Now for something completely different.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now for something completely different. Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
This goes beyond weird.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...ce/yanny-laurel.html

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it has to do with what device you're listening to it on.

They played it on the radio station on my way to work today and I heard "Yanny", clear as a bell. They played it repeatedly and I couldn't even imagine how someone could hear anything different.

Then, at lunch, someone played it on their smartphone. I heard "Laurel", clear as a bell.

Confused

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to find out if anyone else had heard/seen this. I only hear Yanny.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm moving-on to another thread.

Posts: 13756 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just trying to figure out how there can be that much of a difference in how people hear things.

More so when the words are so different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My hearing is horrible and I clearly hear "Laurel".

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My hearing is horrible and I clearly hear "Laurel".

It runs about 50/50 among people listening to it.

As wannabebwana said, many folks hear it one way on one device and completely different on another

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeBwana:
I think it has to do with what device you're listening to it on.

They played it on the radio station on my way to work today and I heard "Yanny", clear as a bell. They played it repeatedly and I couldn't even imagine how someone could hear anything different.

Then, at lunch, someone played it on their smartphone. I heard "Laurel", clear as a bell.

Confused

So, last night I played it for my gf and her daughter. I heard Yanni again.

faint

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have an autographed picture to me from Stan Laurel in 1964.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an autographed picture to me from Stan Laurel in 1964.

That is really special. Laurel and Hardy were such neat characters.

To bad our society has became too sophisticated for their brand of humor.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
During the 60's I went on a binge of collecting autographed pics by celebreties.Everything from Johnny Weissmueller to the cast of the 'Man from Uncle' + that from the 'Avengers'+ everything in between. I had a large photo album full of those signed pics. After my last divorce,the ex who thought she had not got enough(even though it was all my guns + money),stole the album. I can't prove it but it was gone after she came by to pick up a few things.That is pretty petty shit to steal someones memories. Fortunately my Stan Laurel pic was in another album.Thank God.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Even when I slide the scale all the way to the Yanny side I don’t hear Yanny...on any device I have tried. I do quit hearing Laurel about 3/4 the way over and hear ee-ah-ee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36410 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote