New
Find
Notify
Tools

Y'all have a "barbecue gun"? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just have to ask, as we have so many Texans here. I first became aware of the "BBQ gun" concept reading John Taffin many years ago. It is above my pay grade to own a worthy example of the genre, but I'd love to drool over somebody else's. If you have pictures or stories, please share!

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never heard the term Bill. I guess I don't have one.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several, but pics are rarer than guns around me.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard the term decades ago. Last week I was hunting in central Texas and asked my friend who owns the ranch if he had ever heard of a barbecue gun.... Never heard or saw one.
Must be a rich rancher thing, for people who don't normally carry a side arm.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Look to the Double Rifles forum here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/6341062632

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my Sunday go to meeting gun with a nice looking holster and matching mag pouch.

A nice SR1011 a nice set of wood grips.

Would qualify as a barbecue gun.

My nickel S@W 19 with its fancy grips would be useful also.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Marcus, thanks for that link. That's what I was talking about. The examples Taffin shows are typically fully engraved Smiths and SAA Colts. Here, he writes about a Texas BBQ edition of a 1911 by Wilson:
http://dailycaller.com/2015/09...t-texas-bbq-special/

Here's another take, involving a Hi-Power.
https://americanhandgunner.com...ra-barbecue-tonight/

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my unlearned opinion, that the term "barbecue gun" is from the West Texas area. I've read Taffin's stuff, have read the term in a couple of books by Texas Rangers, all from W Tx. I've lived, and shot in E Texas for over 50 years and have NEVER heard the term used in normal conversations. Of course, you don't have to throw many rocks to hit an ignorant Texan in our area either. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I tend to think of I-35 as the dividing line of East vs. West Texas, but I may be off, as the true center lies in the Hill Country (and my Texans are San Saba/Abilene/Amarillo/Stinnett). What do you consider East Texas?

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I think west Texas starts west of Weatherford.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
West Texas starts west of Abilene. (West of Big Spring if you want to get picky.)

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that a BBQ gun is there in case the meat is TOO rare ?? faint

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am reading an absolutely spell binding book about the Comanches, who ruled most of W. Texas, N. M., Col. and Kansas for several centuries. Stories of how bad Apaches were, they were driven S out of their traditional homelands by the Comanches. At any rate, the book more or less divides, "American" settler Texas, and the Comanche homeland "comancheria" E and W of the 98th parallel, which conveniently enough is about where I-35 is today. While I feel the REAL WEST TEXANS are slightly further west, using I-35 as a divide is close enough for government work.

East Texas is kind of easy, if you don't have to THINK about where the nearest tree is, you are in East Texas.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato, care to share the name of the book?

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, are you reading "Empire of the Summer Moon"? If so, it is a wonderful book indeed.
Speaking of Apaches, I recently learned that both the Apaches and their kin, the Navajo, arrived in the Southwest only about 500 years ago -- from Canada. Their languages are Athabaskan.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I-35 might be OK if we agree there is no Central Texas.

Call I-35 the dividing line between East and West Texas to anyone from West Texas, and you better get ready to be spit-up on.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, I was thinking more in terms of a cultural divide than a geographical one, if that makes sense.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Charlie, are you reading "Empire of the Summer Moon"? If so, it is a wonderful book indeed.
Speaking of Apaches, I recently learned that both the Apaches and their kin, the Navajo, arrived in the Southwest only about 500 years ago -- from Canada. Their languages are Athabaskan.

Yes, and it is a great read. The first seven chapters should be required reading for all Texas students and probably most US students. While there are two completely different world views and psychologies at work, it would quickly dispel the concept of the "noble red man".

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
In West Virginia, they would call that your "Sunday-go-to-meeting" gun... (Mossbergs and Western auto mostly) LOL

rotflmo

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, and it is a great read. The first seven chapters should be required reading for all Texas students and probably most US students. While there are two completely different world views and psychologies at work, it would quickly dispel the concept of the "noble red man".

I second that thought, after reading it does throw a more accurate light on how thing really were between whites and indians.

During our marriage Lora and I have made trips to Fort Parker outside Mexia (pronounced Mahaya, not MEXia] where Cynthia Ann was taken captive and to the location of the Pease River Battleground where the Texas Rangers rescued{?} her and to Fort Sill to Quanah's grave site.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, based on this thread I got the book from the library and started reading it. Not sure about the "noble savage" stuff though. When you are fighting for your homeland all bets are off. In England when the Romans invaded Britain there was a revolt by the Iceni (sp) tribe led by Boodica. They surrounded several Roman towns and then went in and killed everyone, Romans and Britons alike, men women and children. Churchill, in his "History of the English Speaking Peoples" said words to the following effect:
If it is legitimate to defend your homeland from those who would take it from you, surely it is legitimate to demand a stiff price from those of your own race, who warm their hands at the hearth of the invader!
Damn, that guy had a way with words!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "Noble Savage/Redman" concept evolved from people that never had any dealings with actual, Free Ranging Plains Indians.

Yes, it is bad on many levels as to the events perpetrated by both whites and indians during the settling of America, but both sides were guilty of atrocities.

Empire of the Summer Moon simply gives a more fairly balanced account of the actions of both sides.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That is a great book as well as"Land Of Good Water". Interesting bit about the I 35 corridor. The highway was built to follow the old paths of the wagon trains that in turn were following the paths of the buffalo migration. After the war of northern aggression the freed slaves were allowed 40 acres of siezed land,however the yankees did'nt stipulate what 40 acres,so they were given the land west of I-35 because that is where the divide is between good black dirt/arable land is while to the west it starts all limestone. I know,thats where I live + for years until getting a good garden going it was a nightmare. Oh ,back to the subject,my" BBQ gun"is a custom Keith # 5 w/ full ivory stocks.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, if you want to share a photo of that lovely barbecue gun of yours, I am sure we would all very much appreciate it.
I will get a copy of "Land of Good Water" and eagerly read it, as my great-great grandfather was murdered in 1856 in neighboring Burnet County.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Following up: I looked up "Land of Good Water, a History of Williamson County, Texas" on Amazon and they had two used copies by third party sellers at $165 or more.
I went to the Williamson Museum shop and they have it for $25. On its way!
http://williamsonmuseum.org/pr...museum-store/page/2/

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 books that you may enjoy by Henry Chappell.
Blood Kin
The Calling
Silent We Stood
They are by Henry Chappell. Henry also works with Wyman Meinzer (The Texas State Photographer) on his big books on the famous ranches of Texas.
Henry is a good friend and a serious quail hunter.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Butch, thank you!

http://www.byhenrychappell.com/

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K Bill,disregard my P.M. about going to the office + getting you a copy of the book from the source. If you still need it call me + i'll grab you a copy.Really great when you are living right on top of the history. My favorite story was just up the road from me when the Comanches raided a farmhouse in Hopewell.A woman was out riding her horse + saw the smoke + went over + saw the reds doing their travesty.They saw her on the ridge+ started coming but their horses were tired + hers was fresh.She was fixing to take off when she saw this little white girl curled up under the bushes. She told her to get on child + we are out of here. About that time a little black girl comes out of the bushes as well. The woman knows that the horse can't carry 3 + outrun the Comanches so she tells the little black girl,"If you value your life,you best keep up with this horse."She did...must have been Jesse Owens grandma. A lot of personal interest stories like that in there as well as historical info. I recommend it highly.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of a bbq gun. but then I live east of the big river. I lived in OK for a number of years and never heard of one there.
To follow the "logic" of the idea, why isn't there BBQ boots, hats, tooled leather vest, etc? Maybe a Ford 350 super duty with a set of long horns on the front would be a BBQ truck......? Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wasbeeman, for what it is worth, there are a bunch of examples of this genre in the collection of the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they referred to as "BBQ whatever"? Or are you talking about the truck. Ive seen a bunch of those (with and without the horns) between Dal and AUS.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my son was in high school I bought him a 67 Cadillac that he mounted a set of longhorns to the front.You could see him coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a grip kids! The beauty of a revolver (custom made) I have several but then again,those of mine will mine has never been fired Top of the lime?More to follow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine owning a rifle/pistol and not shooting it. I understand that some people do that but......?

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot imagine owning a rifle/pistol and not shooting it. I understand that some people do that but......?

PLUS ONE!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me me spout for a sec.While my middle son was in the army in the last shit in the desert.Point on here. I bought a pair of 'NEW" Great Westerns in cosect. ser#',,,never fired,I sent them to Hartford to have ivorys installed.Point being that untiul fired

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,. my son came home safe. I still have the ivory stocked pair in the safe.