New
Find
Notify
Tools

WIRING FUNDS Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Everyone,
Please be smart when wiring funds both in and out of country. Make it a habit of calling the party prior to wiring funds to re-verify the account money is being sent.
I am aware of two instances now where money was hijacked by hackers. They are very clever using actual names and letterhead you swear are the real deal.
Just had a good friend and excellent businessman have his business account hijacked and over $13,000 were wired from his account. everything looked legit so his comptroller did the transaction.
Guys we cant be too careful. I would like to catch these guys. My form of punishment would be to centerpunch them between the eyes.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Tim.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice to always check and recheck a new account before wiring money.

I wire funds all over the world and have never had any problems. As long as you confirm the routing and ABA/Swift codes the transaction takes place with a key stroke. So it is almost impossible to hijack the legitimate transfer. Of course if someone gives you the wrong account information the money is going to wind up in that account - see you later and thanks for the $$$. You have no recourse with the bank because it was your mistake. That amounts to an expensive lesson...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mean the money I sent to an Ethiopian Prince in exchange for a pending shipment of uncut diamonds might go astray?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but it sounds to me like your friend was simply scammed. He or his comptroller simply paid the wrong account.

I'm not sure how you are using the word, but in the US, it would be EXTREMELY difficult to have someone "hijack" your bank account and send money from it fraudulently. In addition, if it was done, I am fairly sure your bank who wired the money would be liable for the loss.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a small account open just to wire in and out of along with receiving pay pals. I transfer to and from as needed but there is never more than $500 they could get as I move it to the main account from there.

I get scam/spam from each country that I do business in and I have no trust. Dang Chinese and Russian spams are a pain. Without blocking a get around 300 a day. I figure it they can put it in someone will figure out how to get it out so I get it out before they do.

Bogus Cashiers check is also another one you gotta watch for.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
You mean the money I sent to an Ethiopian Prince in exchange for a pending shipment of uncut diamonds might go astray?

No I am sure you are fine. Let us know when to arrive for the party...

Congratulations!!!

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me as well as a scam. A Few months ago I got an email from a friend of mine that had supposedly been robbed in the Phillipines + lost money,passport,etc. Could I wire her some $$$ to get home?Now ordinarily that would sent up flags to me but I know this woman + she is always traveling worldwide + the letter was personal (i/e not like a form letter),I was close to sending her some but common sense kicked in + I called her home # + guess what? She had been informed from other friends as well,seems someone hacked her address book. We need to be aware.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote