Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Do You Feel About Go-Fund-Me? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I'm tired of reading every tragic event ending in a Go-Fund-Me request. Doesn't anyone take care of their own anymore? Do you have to beg someone else to take care of your responsibility?

Today it was this. https://people.com/human-inter...nside-home-6-months/ It is no doubt tragic. But the people around her, including her sister didn't care enough to try to look for her, or even check her home.....in six months......, but they aren't shy about asking for you or I to help pay for the woman's funeral services. And, to begin with, rather than search for her themselves.....IN HER OWN HOME.....they set up a Go-Fund-Me account to help find her.

Take care of your own, don't try to shift the burden to someone else.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen Kensco. I'm with you on this.

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would advise to not " throw the baby out with the bath water". There are requests for help that are very legitimate, such as a young man that lost a son and his pregnant wife in an auto accident that left his premature baby running up high hospital bills that his brother asked for Go fund me help with. On the other hand my nephew asked for go fund me help to buy and set up a barbecue food truck, which I didn't donate to, and don't think anyone else did either. Nobody is forcing anyone to donate if they don't want to. Sometimes helping your neighbors is the right thing to do, but if you want to just pass judgment then that is your right also. Hope you are never in serious need of help.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
quote:

Amen Kensco. I'm with you on this.

Agree. There might be a case where I would donate, but I have not seen one yet.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I want to help people out I help them out.

If I don't I don't.

I have never gave money to a go fund me account.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Neither have I. I have however on several occasions helped out friends in need financialy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It doesn't bother me as much now that you can give without Go Fund Me taking 8 percent.
I agree with the Ducker that there are some legitimate requests -- and accounts set up on behalf of the unfortunate by others. The absolutely ruinous cost of modern health care plays a role here.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I agree completely. I am all for helping those in need but I am opposed to those who make a profit off of the enterprise. In my mind, that defeats the whole process. Just a case in point here: I remember + I'm sure a lot of others recall George Harrison's relief concert for Bangladesh. I still have my boxed set albums from when it was released. The point here was that the promters got damned near ALL the money + nothing was sent in aid to Bangladesh + this supposedly started some laws that would stop this sort of thing + give the money to where its needed. I have no idea if they were successful. Knowing that, I have become quite a cinic n donating money to any cause. That's too bad because some are legitimit. That being said, I will give money to the Sally Ann but NEVER to the Red Cross. Too long to relate here; I have done so before.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never, ever, give money to any organization.

I do help people I know who are in need.

It involves no one else.

And they get 100% of it.

This is actually a tradition here.

Someone would come to know that an individual or family are in need.

For health reasons, education or financial troubles.

The person in the know would approach his friends and a collection would be made and given to the needy.

The person in need would not know where the money is coming from, except, “his friends”.

No one feels any obligations, or glorification.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve donated through gofundme. I new there was a fee but had no idea it was that high. It was convenient, a good cause, and I donated. After seeing this thread, I’ll try to donate directly.

I have seen some ridiculous gofundme solicitations. Some of them are so far out there that it’s hard to believe people would not be embarrassed.

There are good causes, however.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 30-40 years ago I met a friend of mines Dad who had been on Omaha beach in Normany. He told me that the Red Crocc has kiosks set up + advertising "coffee + doughnuts; only a quarter." Sure thing lady, I came up here with a pocketful of change!" Since then I have heard many more stories, none good. My step-daughter is Dr. W/O Borders gal + travels world wide to areas of need + she has said to NEVER give your $$$ to the Red Cross.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
It's the mechanism the Democrats used to pay Blasey-Ford to testify against Kavanaugh.

$647,610

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I have a friend whose sister was diagnosed with breast cancer. Single mom, deadbeat ex in another state (Texas goes after them. Do other states? I don’t know). Anyway, I trust my friend and helped out. Go Fund Me makes it easy to do. I have only donated to one other person on there; another woman with cancer. I have helped other people in need, but in person.

Posts: 7467 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I avoid for-profit charity type entities. I send the person a personal check if they are far away or hand them money or goods in person.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From all I have heard + seen the Salvation Army is the best out there as an honest organization. We can always hope. Helping out ones you know when you can is limited only by your own finances. To indiscriminately send money makes me nervous, I suppose I attain too much of a cynic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just saw a YouTube video where a woman raised $30,000 through a Go-Fund-Me page to buy a horse. I think that is pathetic, but if people feel that is a valid use of their own money, the rest of us have no say in the transaction.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. There are too many other areas where we are forced to finance against our wishes.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've donated to a few worthy Go Fund Me requests. They have been personal requests dealing with people that I actually know and have had a tragedy in their lives or in the lives of a family member. Everyone has their agency to request donations and everyone has their agency to donate or not.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The first rule about Go-Fund-Me is to pick a politically correct cause. The second rule is to make sure it comes across with more of an emotional appeal than a logical need. On Go-Fund-Me, liberal sob stories and social justice projects make more money - plain and simple.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Need a Go Fund Me.

I’m traveling to Africa to help feed starving children. I will supply protein that is free range, non GMO, low fat, and cage free.

Ok I’m hunting and the locals get some of the meat.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
Need a Go Fund Me.

I’m traveling to Africa to help feed starving children. I will supply protein that is free range, non GMO, low fat, and cage free...

M
rotflmo

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, you should be put in for a Nobel! What a guy doing his part to ease a little 3rd world hunger! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All will be "Harvested" in an "Ethical" manner.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote