Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I do Gunbroker ? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
What can I do to help protect myself as far as payment to a private person on Gun broker.
Looking to bid on a several thousand dollar gun but the person has only one sale and it was several years ago.
I was thinking to see if they would agree to a escrow account. How could I set one up ?
About 20 years ago I got took for $6000 by a FFL on a gun deal. I had to hire a couple of guy's to collect the money from him. It cost me $3000.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
On a multi-thousand dollar rifle, I'd fly/drive to the seller's location (AFTER obtaining and verifying the seller's name, address, and phone number) with a cashier's check and meet them in a safe location.

I would not send or wire thousands of dollars to someone with such low (and outstated) feedback, and I certainly would not wire money to an escrow account/service they set up.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George.. I did consider picking it up as a option, about a 600 mile trip one way.
Two days ago I sent a question to the seller through Gunbroker, no reply yet.

Craig

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
600 miles is an easy drive on good roads.

If you are thw winning bidder, GB will give you the seller's name and phone number of record.

Look him up on the 'net. Call him and see if you can pick up a vibe.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today is the last day of the auction, I have sent 3 emails with no response, this week.
I won't put a bid in until I get some answers.
Makes me wonder about the seller.
If I could figure out how to contact someone at GunBroker might save someone some grief.

Craig

posted Hide Post
GB won't reply. I reported counterfeit optics to them; they closed the fraud report without telling me and without a resolution (pulling the auctions).

When in doubt, don't bid.

I asked one a-hole about approximate round count and any known damage or defects three different times and he never replied. That gun is still for sale.

If they won't reply in order to make the sale, what sort of after-sales service can you expect?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if the guy won't even reply - i'd run away. just having 1 sale wouldn't bother so much as not getting a reply. it would seem like maybe he isn't really interested in selling the gun, but more interested in taking the $$

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for shitz and giggles,

I'm a private individual. I've well over 100 transactions on GB, and so far have a 100% positive rating. It's almost become more important to me to have a positive rating and excellent feedback than the item I'm selling. I answer every e-mail and question and provide my phone number and e-mail address with every e-mail I answer. If I'm going to be out of town hunting during the course of an auction, I state it in the verbage of the product description. I'd say if a fellow won't return your e-mails or phone calls, don't do business with him. He is most likely not interested in your satisfaction, but only the money.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No answer = bad seller.

On anything about $1000 - go and do a face to face.

I have had one bad deal on GunBroker because I was too lazy to drive 350 miles to see the gun first. I got it, saw it was bad, returned it and lost about $100 in the process. It cost less than $100 to drive and see it.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got a email back today.
The guy is a known gunsmith has a web site, does a couple dozen gun shows, was set-up at Dallas Safari Club.
I'am going to have him bring the gun to a gun show about 200 miles from my U.P. hunting camp.

posted Hide Post
Good.

What kind of gun was it?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel 141 9.3x74R!
After what happened with the Sabatti I bought last year. If I'am going to buy a double just spend the money on proven quality.