Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Coleman Lantern (220H) Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I was disappointed in this latest crises. I fired up my old Coleman lantern.....and it didn't fire up. I replaced the generator, new mantles, old fuel. Sputtered and lit, then smoked and went out. I will replace the pump, but I'm guessing the fuel was "off". It was probably about three years old.

Any other thoughts? There isn't much else that could go wrong.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Terrible situation. Still zero temps here in SWMO too. At least there is sunshine today.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a propane one. Smiler

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Does it have a leather O ring that keeps pressure in the tank in conjunction with the pump? If so, did you check it and lubricate it? Maybe I'm thinking of older or different Coleman lanterns. Just a thought.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree with Griz. After our last major power outage many years ago I installed propane lights on the walls (1 above the stairs + 1 above the cookstove). You can buy them from your LP provider or an RV supplier, + of course these days, Amazon. They use the same mantles as the Coleman lamps.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Does it have a leather O ring that keeps pressure in the tank in conjunction with the pump? If so, did you check it and lubricate it? Maybe I'm thinking of older or different Coleman lanterns. Just a thought.

Olive oil to lubricate it? I used olive oil on a gasket in a sprinkler valve, worked well.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds familiar. I think that I used something similar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Replaced Generator and Pump. Check Valve not functioning. Can't pump air into it. Sprayed WD-40 into it, and let it soak. May try to pull the check valve, with a screw driver (risky). I don't use this enough to waste any more money on it.

Damn I love these DIY projects that turn into ordeals.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote