Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New World's Best Whisky Crowned..... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
FWIW, I found one source in the US that has it at $165/750 ml bottle....

quote:
INTERNATIONAL WHISKEY

You won’t believe where the world’s best whiskey comes from

by TIME , Fortune Editors @TIME MARCH 23, 2015, 5:42 AM EDT

Sorry, Scotland. Nice try, Japan. John Barleycorn has relocated to…Taiwan.

By David Stout

Taiwan’s Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique is now officially the best single malt whiskey on earth, according to this year’s World Whiskies Awards.

The contest’s judges described the malt as “surprisingly smooth on the palate” and added: “it’s like Bourbon infused milk chocolate.”

“Immediately and subtly liquor rich. Tiny bit of incense, a thread of spice and smoke. Caramel, marzipan, coffee-vanilla, fudge, rich, creamy, dried black fruits, the judges continued, warming to their task. “Element of sandalwood. Starts creamy, waters out, almost disappears before rubbing hot brown sugar into the oesophagus. Tiny bitter trace.”

It wasn’t immediately clear how many other malts the judges had before putting that summary down.

Kalavan Solist is produced at the King Car distillery in northeastern Taiwan’s Yilan County, where the whiskey is aged in American oak barrels that once stored white and red wines.

The distillery, which went operational just a decade ago, has been racking up a plethora of awards in recent years and getting nods from some of the world’s top single-malt connoisseurs. In 2012, the acclaimed guide Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible named Kavalan’s Solist Fino Sherry Cask malt the “new whisky of the year.”

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great and maybe I'll try it someday. I hope to sample some good whisky on my upcoming trip to Scotland too. In the meantime I'm satisfied with McClellands Islay for everyday purposes.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not poor, but when I pay $165 for a bottle of whisky, someone needs to call a doctor, because I will have lost my mind. Roll Eyes

But to each his own, I prefer to waste my money on other vices such as guns and land, not to mention children. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whisky is the product of Irish descent, and, in my opinion, whiskey Taiwan is from the evil one. Therefore, it is enough to have in the bar a bottle of jameson and not to worry so much about strange names.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more of trying a shot if I ever saw it in a bar. One of my favorite restaurants has some brandy that goes for $600 a shot. The bottle is almost empty so somebody must be buying it. Ridiculous and amazing.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post

Hopefully it packs more of a punch than this!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'm not poor, but when I pay $165 for a bottle of whisky, someone needs to call a doctor, because I will have lost my mind. Roll Eyes

But to each his own, I prefer to waste my money on other vices such as guns and land, not to mention children. Big Grin

I thought it was Q Smiler

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

I thought it was Q Smiler

Mike

It is obvious that you have not been truly imbued with the Texas spirit at this time. Q is not a waste of money, just as breathing is not a waste of energy. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I knew things were getting odd when Old Bushmills Distillery (est. 1608) was purchased by Jose Cuervo. Next time you're drinking Black Bush you better watch out for the worm.

But who can argue with a fair and impartial panel of judges?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still al lot cheaper than Pappy Van Winkles from Buffalo Trace. When you can find the last of the 22 yr Van Winkle be ready to pay thousands. Even the newer releases can $300-$500 a bottle retail. I quit buying it when it hit $99. I think the last bottle was at the first Bubba pig hunt at the Glick Ranch.

It too was once judged world's best whiskey and thast's when the price got totally FUBAR'd.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Waterat

If you have a teenager that has access to your stuff it may have been diluted with water.

My buddy just went through this....

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparently 80 proof will freeze at about -16 F. so it is certainly possible it was as made. Of course, the teenager theory holds promise too. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That is debatable however 160 proof (you know,the kind that burns blue)will not freeze. A neighbor,dead now of course built a still + used the fallen peaches from my trees. I use my peaches for jam but I let him have the culls + look what he has done. Built a liquor that was very smooth + potent.Shame on him for dying.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
That is debatable however 160 proof (you know,the kind that burns blue)will not freeze. A neighbor,dead now of course built a still + used the fallen peaches from my trees. I use my peaches for jam but I let him have the culls + look what he has done. Built a liquor that was very smooth + potent.Shame on him for dying.

Not quite true. 80% alcohol (160 proof) will freeze solid at about -75 degree F. Pure alcohol will freeze at about -175 degrees F. So theoretically you could freeze 160 proof outside but not in Texas, I hope. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a way to improve the degree of alcoholic beverages. It does not freeze completely, first water freezes out in the form of ice crystals. It is energetically more favorable than conventional distillation. I even saw how you extract the alcohol from Cologne - jet Cologne allowed along the segment of the rail. Essential oils cling to metal. The result, of course, worse than vodka, but roughly equivalent to whiskey.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote