New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting the record straight Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
A member of the AR forums recently posted that Stanford University is no longer one of the top universities in many people’s eyes, and that schools like Texas A&M are replacing it. The poster also referred to Stanford as one of the Ivy League “talking heads” for left wing liberalism in the U.S.

Here are some actual facts. First, Stanford is NOT an Ivy League school. It is a PAC 12 school. Both terms refer to the athletic leagues in which the schools play intercollegiate sports.

More to the point here are two links to the history, focus, and national university rankings for both schools. Obviously they are different kinds of schools...with Stanford being a “research” university throughout its history, while A&M has been primarily an Agricultural and Mining (and veterinary medicine) research school in more recent years. Neither is a "talking head for either the political right or left.

Both are excellent Universities, with Stanford ranked as #4 in the U.S, overall, and Texas A&M ranking #68. Neither is primarily a government focused or politics oriented school (though many members of past and present Congress studied at Stanford, as did at least one POTUS Herbert Hoover (hardly a left-winger). Both are very technical in their primary reasons for existence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_University

http://colleges.usnews.ranking...ollege-station-10366

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only a brainwashed Aggie, of which there are thousands, could compare Stanford and A&M. Or, he might just be a typically informed A&M student. dancing

BTW, Hook 'em!!! Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on. Is a former Board member of A&M. Because Stanford does not have a school of veterinary medicine, I compared the schools of (human) medicine at both. Stanford school of medicine is ranked #11 nationally, while TAMU school of medicine is ranked 93rd. The school of Economics at Stanford is ranked 5th in the U.S., And the TAMU school of economics is tied with U.C. Santa Barbara at 42nd in the country.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And what is the Botanical species is meant by the name "ivy", I've heard different ways. Climbing plants a lot, and many similar to European ivy. And, by the way, who mistakenly ranked Stanford University to the "ivy League"? I once made the same mistake in the article on gardening, and I was constantly appearing as an origami few years.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert,
That is agricultural&mechanical school. Kinda hard to compare human medicine curriculum to veterinary.
I have no attachments to either school, but get the facts straight.
You do know where Charlie's kids go? It is a good school also.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Albert,
That is agricultural&mechanical school. Kinda hard to compare human medicine curriculum to veterinary.
I have no attachments to either school, but get the facts straight.
You do know where Charlie's kids go? It is a good school also.

I am well aware of that Butch. As it says in my post Stanford does not have a school of veterinary medicine. So I compared their schools of human medicine, to try to get a feel for how they do in medical programs which they both have.

TAMU has a very good school of veterinary medicine, ranked 8th in the U.S. Students in the Stanford area who wish to attend a school of veterinary medicine go to UCD (University of California at Davis CA) That school is ranked #2 in the U.S. and is just over an hour's drive from Stanford.

BTW the school of veterinary medicine ranked #1 in the U.S is at Cornell University. Cornell IS one of the eight IVY LEAGUE universities and is located at Ithaca NY.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vashper:
And what is the Botanical species is meant by the name "ivy", I've heard different ways. Climbing plants a lot, and many similar to European ivy. And, by the way, who mistakenly ranked Stanford University to the "ivy League"? I once made the same mistake in the article on gardening, and I was constantly appearing as an origami few years.

Vashper...I don't know what European Ivy is. The plant referred to in the name of the Ivy league is a climbing plant. I suspect the league was named the Ivy League because it referred to some of the oldest universities in the U.S., and the old brick buildings covered in Ivy which many of them had as their first and central buildings.