New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor movies Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I think that most of us remember the drive in theatres of the 50's + early 60's with a movie empathist ( for me) of the African hunting theme instilled by Ruarck's books,Stewart Granger,etc. Years later in the early 70's as a grown man I had the opportunity to see the Zilker Hillside Theatre. This was done in Zilker Park,under the stars as it were.A large field with a huge screen that would start the movies at dark.Bring your blanket + picnic basket,etc.Bread,cheese,a bottle of wine (in those days people were polite + did'nt leave trash or broken glass).I recall the 1st movies were the Thin Man series starring William Powell + Myrna Loy.It went on all summer long with 30's + 40's B+W movies.Then one night they decided to play the 1968 George Romero film "The Night Of The Living Dead." Now that movie was scary in the theatre but you can just imagine sitting in the dark in an open field with a tree line at your back. It was such a total success that the Austin Screen Alliance decided to take it one step further. They set up a buoyed out enclosure on Lake Austin with folks in their trunks seated in inner tubes,floating + watching Jaws on the big screen.If that was not bad enough,they had a couple of divers who would go around + periodically grab someones leg.Believe me,at that point,J.C. was not the only one who could walk on water.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well,considering the hits with no response;were the responders think about an X rated affair or just did'nt understand the post. I prefer to believe the latter. Just for nostalgiaias sake,anyone want to comment on your favorite or most memorable drive in movie? You know on line it's not even "your dime" I do so wish that others of our era will respond.Any input from our era would be nice. THank You,R.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote