Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perspective Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Here's a little something to think about. I didn't write this, I copied and pasted it to here from another forum. I figured it was worth passing it on;

For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. When you are 14, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. When you're 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills six million. At 52, the Korean War starts and five million perish. At 64 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn’t end for many years. Four million people die in that conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? A kid in 1985 didn’t think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through everything listed above.
Perspective is an amazing art. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Let’s be smart, help each other out, and we will get through all of this.” In the history of the world, there has never been a storm that lasted. This too, shall pass.

Posts: 318 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
Here's a little something to think about. I didn't write this, I copied and pasted it to here from another forum. I figured it was worth passing it on;

For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. When you are 14, World War I starts, and ends on your 18th birthday with 22 million people killed. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until you are 20. Fifty million people die from it in those two years. Yes, 50 million. When you're 29, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, global GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. When you're 41, the United States is fully pulled into WWII. Between your 39th and 45th birthday, 75 million people perish in the war and the Holocaust kills six million. At 52, the Korean War starts and five million perish. At 64 the Vietnam War begins, and it doesn’t end for many years. Four million people die in that conflict. Approaching your 62nd birthday you have the Cuban Missile Crisis, a tipping point in the Cold War. Life on our planet, as we know it, could well have ended. Great leaders prevented that from happening. As you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends. Think of everyone on the planet born in 1900. How do you survive all of that? A kid in 1985 didn’t think their 85 year old grandparent understood how hard school was. Yet those grandparents (and now great grandparents) survived through everything listed above.
Perspective is an amazing art. Let’s try and keep things in perspective. Let’s be smart, help each other out, and we will get through all of this.” In the history of the world, there has never been a storm that lasted. This too, shall pass.

Interesting but

An easy life relative to someone in

Germany
Russia
China
Punjab or Bengal in India
UK
Vietnam

Mapping across time and geography is very interesting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My granddad was born in 1889. He died during Vietnam war. He saw all that.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
My oldest uncle was born in 1900 and saw it all

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Imagine my life.

I am approaching 70.

We had no electricity, no running water, no building more than one story.

My grandad used to make his own black powder.

I remember the first motor car in the country.

We never wore shoes.

My life time is the equivalent of 300-400 years in other countries!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Talk about some similarities Saeed. When I bought this place out in the country we had no electricity or water. We build our house + hauled water in 55 gal drums. I built a water tower to set 4 more drums on so after pumping the truck's load we would have gravity feed until we could afford to do it better. Propane lights + cooking as well as wood. I did have boots. It was an experience + wouldn't take for it. I'm pushing the same age + I would not want to do it again but I am grateful for the experience.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Imagine my life.

I am approaching 70.

We never wore shoes.

True

Did you grow up in the house that is now the museum in old Dubai?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine my life.

I am approaching 70.

We never wore shoes.

Then the Americans showed up and showed you morons how to get vast riches in the form of crude oil out of the ground and to market. If it weren't for us you would have actually had to work for a living. You wouldn't last a week in the real world.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Imagine my life.

I am approaching 70.

We never wore shoes.

Then the Americans showed up and showed you morons how to get vast riches in the form of crude oil out of the ground and to market. If it weren't for us you would have actually had to work for a living. You wouldn't last a week in the real world.

But he did and even more.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He didn't earn anything.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of us on this forum have been truly blessed. I know I have.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's true. I am grateful.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote