THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    How Many of You Ever Watched ABC's American Sportsman?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many of You Ever Watched ABC's American Sportsman? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I was just thinking back to the days of yore(way back) and wondered how many of you ever watched ABC's American Sportsman on Sunday afternoons?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Never missed it!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched religiously. Especially the ones with Bing Crosby and Phil Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cqhlrtkp8

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster: Love the fly fishing episode that you attached! tu2 My original Fly tying book was the Jack Dennis' "Western Trout Fly Tying Manual" with a forward by Curt Gowdy. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was a good show!

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Yea... Bing Crosby and Phil Harris bird hunting but mostly talking and singing

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Times have certainly changed, (for the worse). Along those same lines, We'll never see another Herb Parsons driving town to town in his station wagon giving shooting displays + promotions. That's really sad IMO.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Redd Foxx hunting pheasants?
Talk about funny. I was hoping Netflix or someone else would make those shows available.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, many years ago.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loved it until they stopped showing kill shots. I stopped watching it after that. You either show the entire hunt or I don't want to see any of it. Curt Gowdy rocked.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed it as well. Always a sad moment when it was over for the week.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in middle school in the early 1970's my best friend was a fellow name Jason(Jay) Swaim. His dad (Frank) was the range director at the Pinehurst Country Club Trap and Skeet range in Pinehurst, NC. He entertained and guided many celebrities. Jay and I hunted squirrels and Bobwhite Quail for many years together. Jay was a baseball player at shortstop. He was the spitting image of Joe Dimaggio. Batted 400 and was recruited by several colleges. His junior year in HS he was gut shot through the back by a deer hunter who "saw movement". Paralyzed from the waist down he lingered in the hospital for 4 months. I was in college but came home every weekend so I could sit with him. Sepsis finally won. Bing Crosby sent his dad a matched set of a Win M1400 shotgun and M70 African rifle. 2 months after the funeral some asshole broke in and stole them. I still think about it and hope that SOAB suffers.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad, older brother and I always watched. One of the episodes had Vic Damone hunting Bighorn sheep in Alberta. My dad and his hunting partner were going that Fall to Alberta with the same outfitter. Needless to say, as a 10 year old, I was enthralled. Great theme song too. A class act.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can find most of them on Youtube.

Brings back good memories.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
How about Redd Foxx hunting pheasants?
Talk about funny. I was hoping Netflix or someone else would make those shows available.
C.G.B.

WOW! Sanford and Sons was my favorite!

Do you have a link to Redd Foxx hunting Pheasants?? I cant find it and I would LOVE to see it

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I was just a kid, but remember seeing Bing Crosby and Redd Foxx pheasant hunting..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Dang, that is way back THEN!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two my favorites American Sportsman and Victory at Sea.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I get visits from very famous people, who apparently love hunting and shooting.

Some have actually come to see our shooting setup, and have made similar one at their homes.

They always ask that we keep this quiet, as the media does not like it!

I am talking about individuals who are top of their sports, and known the world over.

I remember one and his family came in the afternoon, spent time enjoying shooting all sorts of guns.

It got late, and I asked them if they wish to stay for dinner, they graciously accepted.

I said we normally eat in our kitchen, so don't expect a 5 start hotel setting.

His wife laughed, and said she would leave us alone shooting, and join my wife to prepare dinner together.

A family of pure class.

But sadly they have to keep their names out of the media!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I was just thinking back to the days of yore(way back) and wondered how many of you ever watched ABC's American Sportsman on Sunday afternoons?

It was mandatory watching for me. We only got 2 channels and sometimes if the weather was wrong it could be a bit snowy...still savored every moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was mandatory watching for me. We only got 2 channels

Me too, but we got three channels. (Extra channel didn't matter-it was still mandatory) Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A.S. was mandatory for me too and we had three channels as well, until midnight.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote