THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    What is the most pain you have ever experienced?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the most pain you have ever experienced? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
Yesterdays hangover doesn't count.

Posts: 1070 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I was in the best shape of my life at 49 & kidded about retiring at 50. I'm 6'4 used to be 240#, very littlw body fat, could ride a century every day if I want'd, bench 400#, leg press 650#, didn't even have a doctor. We made a deal with the power co so they could move the lines as long as they cut any trees they needed except 2 huge trees in the front yard as our house was built in the 1880s One was a maple & one an oak we think were there when the house was built. about 4' thru. 2 years later they didn't tell us & cut them both ao & brought a splitter & was lifting & rolling them to the splitter when I felt major back pain & stopped for the night, went to the chirpractor next morning who X Rayed me & I'd blown out 4 disc 3 ext, 1 internal which they removed in about 3 months. They gave me a tens unituntil I could get into asurgeon & my legges & lower back were killing me so I peeled the wires apart so they'd reach from my thighs to the bottoms of my feet, tuened it on high & fell asleep. Woke up in the worst pain ever, dazed from lack of sleep I must have rolled over & 1 pad was stuck right on the tip of Mr Johnson shock him every second or so. As well as the back & both legs in pain he was being electrocuted.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once, while in elk camp, I had to do my business, backed up to a tree and sat down right on top of a Duke #15 bear trap. Caught me right around the b...s! But that was only the 2nd worst pain I ever had.

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kidney stone. Holy Moly, and nothing but morphine helps...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Kidney stones, combined with shingles, all at the same time. Try that one on for size! You're praying and telling the Lord that you're fine if its time! You definitely want to leave the body suit behind!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I can't decide which was worse:

Having a knee replaced that wasn't cemented into place correctly or having my lower lumbar rebuilt.

Both were extremely painful.

The knee for a year before they listened to me that there was something wrong and 6 months of agony for the spine, which actually still hurts pretty bad but at least I can walk again. Knee had to be re- replaced.

~Ann

Posts: 19147 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was 12 years old I experienced sudden deterioration of my right eye. Within one night, almost 100% sight loss and was rushed to hospital for urgent treatment. I was immediately started on a heavy drugs regime for several days but to no avail. In fact the ailment was killing me slowly and the doctors became desperate to stop it. So, they started with a series of injections, twice daily for eleven days straight at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm ( I'll never forget those times ) two injections directly into the eyeball each time. It hurt like hell !
At first they sent in four nurses to hold me down while injected but I told them I would take the injections without kicking. I cried in pain each time but I didn't kick. Soon only two nurses came, one to inject, the other to hold my hand. I don't know if I'm that tough today.
Have also experienced kidney stones several times. Yep, very painful but I have no lasting memories of those, only the eyeball injections.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kidney stones by far. In second place is coughing the day after coronary bypass surgery.

Posts: 72 | Location: grand rapids michigan usa | Registered: 28 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KIDNEY STONES!!

I actually thought I was dying on the first one. I was basically telling my wife I was done!

Grant:

You are one tough guy to do that. I cannot imagine the pain!!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Damn, I’ve experienced a lot of pain, but those stones scare me. I’ve been a bull rider, football player and did all sorts of crap I shouldn’t have.

What causes them? I don’t want any of that BS.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Umbilical hernia surgery recovery. Even my doctor said it's the most painful surgery she does.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Kidney stones and my daughter.
She's perfect, 4years old and no worries, but the fretting, stressing and worrying I do is gonna send me to an early grave.

I drink water all the time now. Tap water, bottled water, IDGAF. Take a pee have a drink. Need to pee? Have a drink then pee.
Drink water then drink water. Big Grin

Posts: 9074 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
When I was 21, I was run over and left for dead. Woke up 2 days later with a skull fracture, 3 broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, and compound fracture or the left forearm. Hurt a lot....Ended up with 3 surgeries to put things back together.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13136 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason P
posted 03 January 2021 14:59
KIDNEY STONES!!

I actually thought I was dying on the first one. I was basically telling my wife I was done!

Grant:

You are one tough guy to do that. I cannot imagine the pain!!

Jason,
Even now I tremble when remembering that ordeal. I certainly don't want to experience anything like that again.

Like you, the first time I was hit with Kidney Stones I thought I was about to make a quick exit from this life. Pain struck suddenly at something like 2:00 am in the morning. I only managed to get to the phone but had to tell my wife to ring the local medical practise for me. Luckily a nearby doctor was able to make a house call. He knew pretty much immediately it was Kidney Stones, told me I wouldn't die despite my fears and started injecting morphine into my backside. About four or five shots had no effect and he was getting a bit worried as he was running out. Another shot seemed to help slightly but it could have been related to how Kidney Stone pain ebbs on and off a bit ( I learned this with later attacks ). About an hour later I felt much better but weak and went back to bed to later wake feeling normal.
The interesting thing about morphine is it doesn't seem a very useful pain killer to me. On another occasion I had a very sudden attack at a business premises and was rolling around on the floor moaning in pain. The staff there were so shocked seeing me they called an ambulance and when the paramedics arrived they injected several morphine doses before taking me to a local hospital. En route I received maybe two or three more morphine shots but for very little effect. They couldn't understand why it wasn't working.
My usual GP got me onto Voltaren suppositories which I now take wherever I go. They are amazing. At pain onset I quickly push one tab into the back passage and 10 minutes later I'm as good as gold, or as near to it as you can be while undergoing the attack.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jdollar
posted 03 January 2021 16:41
When I was 21, I was run over and left for dead. Woke up 2 days later with a skull fracture, 3 broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, and compound fracture or the left forearm. Hurt a lot....Ended up with 3 surgeries to put things back together.

I think that would have to qualify as painful. Reading your post makes me feel the pain. I'm glad you survived. Not everybody would be tough enough to live very long after that much bodily damage.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
A bit of levity. A guy goes into the barbershop + says, dry shave me quick I'm in a hurry. The barber says that will hurt + the guy says, B.S. I've only been hurt twice in my life. The curious barber asks him about it. The guy says the 1st time was when he was in the Klondike + went outside to do his business in the snow (unfortunately on top of a bear trap that snapped up + got him by the goods. The barber asks, what was the 2nd time. The guy says, when the chain ran out of slack.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dislocated left knee, twice in high school football.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
A bit of levity. A guy goes into the barbershop + says, dry shave me quick I'm in a hurry. The barber says that will hurt + the guy says, B.S. I've only been hurt twice in my life. The curious barber asks him about it. The guy says the 1st time was when he was in the Klondike + went outside to do his business in the snow (unfortunately on top of a bear trap that
snapped up + got him by the goods. The barber asks, what was the 2nd time. The guy says, when the chain ran out of slack.

This HAS to go in Humor!!

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Damn, I’ve experienced a lot of pain, but those stones scare me. I’ve been a bull rider, football player and did all sorts of crap I shouldn’t have.

What causes them? There are a lot of theories: Soda, caffeine, certain fruits etc. However, I think a lot of it is hereditary.

A guy that works for me tells me that his dad gets one on a monthly basis! He told me he makes a concoction of almost straight castor oil and lemon juice and drinks it. He says he passes them quickly by doing this. On my second stone I tried the mixture and I passed it quickly. I’m not sure if it was coincidental or not.

I remember on my first one, I was at work sitting at my desk. It felt like someone stabbed me in the side with a sharp knife. It kept getting more frequent and worse (pain). At the time, I lived about 45 minutes from the clinic. While my wife was driving me, I was screaming at her to drive faster. I think she was going about 90. I told her I thought I was going to die soon.

We finally made it to the clinic and they didn’t know what was going on and could not get an IV in me for pain meds. I remember a few of the nurses/PA looking at me with this puzzled look of fear and not knowing what to do. They finally put me on an ambulance and took me for another 45 minute ride to the hospital. When I finally arrived the doctor there asked me a few questions and kind of smiled. He knew exactly what it was.

The doctor (or Pharmacist) told me that he had a patient that had given birth naturally to children. The patient said that her kidney stones were worse than each of the births. I have mentioned this to my wife but she is unimpressed ha ha....

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:

What causes them? There are a lot of theories: Soda, caffeine, certain fruits etc. However, I think a lot of it is hereditary.

A guy that works for me tells me that his dad gets one on a monthly basis! He told me he makes a concoction of almost straight castor oil and lemon juice and drinks it. He says he passes them quickly by doing this. On my second stone I tried the mixture and I passed it quickly. I’m not sure if it was coincidental or not.

I remember on my first one, I was at work sitting at my desk. It felt like someone stabbed me in the side with a sharp knife. It kept getting more frequent and worse (pain). At the time, I lived about 45 minutes from the clinic. While my wife was driving me, I was screaming at her to drive i. I think she was going about 90. I told her I thought I was going to die soon.

We finally made it to the clinic and they didn’t know what was going on and could not get an IV in me for pain meds. I remember a few of the nurses/PA looking at me with this puzzled look of fear and not knowing what to do. They finally put me on an ambulance and took me for another 45 minute ride to the hospital. When I finally arrived the doctor there asked me a few questions and kind of smiled. He knew exactly what it was.

The doctor (or Pharmacist) told me that he had a patient that had given birth naturally to children. The patient said that her kidney stones were worse than each of the births. I have mentioned this to my wife but she is unimpressed ha ha....

Damn, I’m pretty tough. I suppose most of the people here are as well. I like some of those things mentioned, but maybe my whisky counteracts.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2012 umbilical hernia surgery,wasn't painful just had to ask people to pick-up stuff.Worse for me was tonsillectomy @ 50 years old jaw pain for 2 weeks. Currently I had achilles heel surgery 3 weeks ago and healing is not going as planned.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard kidney stones can do it. I know a man that decided it wasn't so bad and went on an annual bike ride with his buddies. He made it 315 miles and had to call his wife to come get him.

The 6-hours before my appendix burst comes to mind. I was 100 miles offshore in the Timor Sea. Waiting on that chopper from Darwin to arrive and get me to a hospital was a bitch.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 9thh grade I was smashed and pinned against a block wall by a 62 Chevy 1/2 ton.
Everything from the elbows down to my ankles was
smashed.
Coues
DS

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have crushed disk in my back from falling off the wing in a snow storm of a P-3. Not going to have surgery on it, as I have been told multiple times letting someone cut on your back is a bad idea.

I have had multiple kidney stones, not really that big of a deal. Generally get them every couple of years.

Given blood for a year every Friday to drop my ferratin level. Sucked, as my veins started to act up. Hurt, but wasn't that bad.

Kicked in both the face, head, shoulders and back by a horse. Sucked, but it isn't something I think about.

Have gout in my feet, acts up when I don't eat right.

Worst of all of that was having them cut my tail bone out. I broke it in a way that it couldn't heal itself and I couldn't sit down.

So they cut it off. Was on morphine for a couple of days, and then I had to go home. I was on the couch for a two months.

We had a newborn, and I don't remember much of that first couple months of her life.

If I'd had been single I would have drank myself to death. Pain was so bad.

Been 8 years, and it still hurts, but at least I can sit down.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Physical or emotional.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both can be quite painful. The latter generally lasts longer than the former.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was18 and had just enlisted in the Air Force. The Air Force kept delaying my departure date so I went to work for a roofing company putting on flat roofs with asphalt and roofing felt. The person who ran the asphalt cooker failed to show up for work one morning so I got nominated to be cooker man that day. This particular cooker needed to be counter weighted up front and somehow the counter weights had been removed. I did not know this and loaded tha cooker with solid asphalt and lit the burner. As the asphalt melted more neede to be added. I added several large chunks to the rear of the cooker and it over balanced and started to tip.As it was early in the morning I hadn’t changed into my protective gear and my instinctive reaction was to grab it and stop it from tipping. Big mistake as the liquid asphalt spilled out and over me from my upper thighs on down. My blue jeans and loafer style shoes were covered in 650 degree liquid asphalt resulting in 3rd degree burns from mid thigh to inside my shoes. That hurt but it but it was nothing compared to when they got to the hospital and began peeling off my jeans and worse my socks. My feet were burned the worst and the asphalt had cooled and hardened. I won’t go into details about peeling my socks and the asphalt off but is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. 53 years later the scars are still there and my feet continue to give problems. After that the Air Force wanted nothing more to do with me.

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, in the 70s we were doing a job. I was installing roof curbs for my A.C. units. The wetback crew were doing a hot-mop + one of the guys got too close to the edge + fell off into the tar crucible trailer; it was not pretty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought rupturing three disks hurt like hell.

MUCH worse was soon after having a L3 fusion
when the nurses got me out of bed for the first
walk.

Didn't know a person could hurt that bad. I'm sure now it's because he didn't deaden it before quitting.

I've had back fusions twice since then and nothing hurt near as bad. I have: 14 3" lag screws, four
rods and now four wedge's between two vertibra to lesson the kink of my spine.

R knee replaced twice and still not right. Both
shoulders replaced too.

Don't screw your back up is the best advice I can
give.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, I understand. Women always say that the pain of childbirth is the worst, for a man getting kicked in the nuts is not even comparable on the pain level scale. So I ask you this, why is it that women say, "You know, I'd love to have another baby" but you NEVER hear of a guy saying, "Gee, I sure would love to get kicked in the nuts again." Cool

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo clap rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason, I understand. Women always say that the pain of childbirth is the worst, for a man getting kicked in the nuts is not even comparable on the pain level scale. So I ask you this, why is it that women say, "You know, I'd love to have another baby" but you NEVER hear of a guy saying, "Gee, I sure would love to get kicked in the nuts again." Cool

Amen!!!!!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
L3-4 disc extrusion after a workout with Snatches and Bar-over Burpees. Never had a back issue in my life. 8 hours later I would have considered swallowing a pistol muzzle. I was admitted via the ER for two days of IV opioids. That was Nov. 2019. On discharge the nerve damage was severe enough I couldn't step up onto a 6 inch step with my right leg.

Long road back. Did front squats in the workout yesterday and I'm only 10 pounds off my 1 rep max.

I had a hip resurfacing that was painful but that disc extrusion was suicide painful.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7591 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who knows, maybe Mother Nature gives women amnesia. When my wife went into labor with our second son, I’ll never forget the look on her face...... it was like what in the *&$# did I get my self into...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still recall the fire in her eyes + the blame of "What have YOU done to me?!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfromswk:
Once, while in elk camp, I had to do my business, backed up to a tree and sat down right on top of a Duke #15 bear trap. Caught me right around the b...s! But that was only the 2nd worst pain I ever had.

Better Look before you Shit. Wink

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1585 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
High school football, dislocated knee, twice.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griz, very true. Years ago when I still smoked, I was sitting in the outhouse, lit a cigarette, then dropped the match down the hole. I didn't think anything about it until my ass started to get warm + looking down into the void, there was an inferno. If one is smart, one only makes that mistake once.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
marriage!! 1972. we were both 21. just kids.

just kidding. our 50th is next year. shes still my best friend except when she pisses me off. daily.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my left leg cut off below the knee and re-attached. That happened 35 years ago and still hurts every day. Pain. I experience pain every day and night.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote