New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kovea Spider Stove
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For any of you looking for a great, lightweight canister stove, I highly recommend the Kovea Spider. Kovea is a Korean manufacturer that OEM's stuff for MSR, Gigapeak etc. The Spider has no big-brand equivalent. It is a remote, inverted canister stove, which of course means you can flip the canister and use it in very cold temps as a liquid fuel stove when needed. I use it that way almost exclusively. It will simmer very well in regular or inverted mode (before flipping the canister, turn valve down very low to avoid flare up). The stove and a 4oz MSR canister will fit inside my SnoPeak 900. It weighs under 6oz and I think I paid $50. Well worth it. I replaced a 20-year old Whisperlite due to a broken pump and no confidence in the new ones. If I wanted a white gas stove now, I would look at the Kovea Hydra, but as it is now, I love my Spider. FYI, I weight all canisters in g when I guy them and monitor fuel usage by weight as I use them. Good luck!

Posts: 7765 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I noticed many garage sales had liquid fuel Coleman lanterns and stoves. Don't see them much anymore. I'm guessing folks were switching to propane with throw away canisters, sorta like Zippo lighters disappeared when throway lighters came out. Seems most campers nowdays have motor home or travel trailer--complete with built in stoves,showers TV etc. Does anyone still use the liquid fuel stoves and lanterns?

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coleman fueled lanterns and stoves are IMEO "your best bet" in many if not most outdoors situations...

Like all things they require some experience to operate them well and a bit more experience to troubleshoot when you have a problem.

But they have a strong enthusiast following and incredible support.

Might I recommend you check out this forum:
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/

Most "collectors" are not like Lieca camera collectors (I.E. purist loons) Coleman collectors have a goal of proving their item WORKS.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Years ago I noticed many garage sales had liquid fuel Coleman lanterns and stoves. Don't see them much anymore. I'm guessing folks were switching to propane with throw away canisters, sorta like Zippo lighters disappeared when throway lighters came out. Seems most campers nowdays have motor home or travel trailer--complete with built in stoves,showers TV etc. Does anyone still use the liquid fuel stoves and lanterns?

My father passed away in 1981 and I still use his colman propane lantern. When it came time for me to purchase a stove I bought a propane model. Most of my hunting partners use propane exclusively.

On our yearly hunting trips to the Oregon border I noted that it took an inordinate time to perk coffee. Sometimes over an hour.

Recently I fished with Scott King. His Coleman dual fuel stove would perk coffee in about ten minutes using coleman fuel. Getting the stove to burn does take some finesse but it seemed very worthwhile.

Needless to say, I am now looking to buy a dual fuel stove.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

I have both kerosene pressure lights, stoves & fridge & a more modern Coleman fueled pressure light in a remote coastal cabin .
liquid fuel lights , stoves & fridge have been part of my life for more than half a century.

solar powered fluoro & led lights as well as 12V compressor driven chest fridge/freezer have evolved as EDU in the last decade.
The kero fridge ( 1923 Halstrom "Silent Knight )
still sees duty on long stays as a fridge with the chest being turned to freezer duty.
I still use the Kero Lights in the winter for heat in addition to their light to augment a Kero "Fyreside" heater ( about the same vintage as the kero fridge).

used the kero lights & heater Friday & Saturday nights just passed in the East Australia 'Antartic Storm' event when I was at the cabin fishing ( nice bag of fine eating fish BTW).

A tip for lighting Coleman/ULP/White Spirit pressure lights.
If using them in a cabin or base camp situation they are virtually problem free to light if you set them up with a little metho/alcohol bowl under the mantle.
light the metho then open the fuel valve for the mantle............no explosions, no singed eyebrows.
( this is the same setup as the metho bowl for a Kero pressure lamp............Coleman/ULP/White Spirit does not need preheating like kero..........it just provides a controlled flame to ignite the mantle as soon as the valve is opened.)

Recollect I used a metal beer bottle lid as a metho bowl until I salvaged a metho bowl off a defunct kero light someone donated.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The spider looks great

I have a kerasine heater just need to buy a tent to fit it. I can use it for winter hunting in the scandinavian alps.

For cooking i use a Trangia alcohol/canister gas stove or my Kelly kettle with fire wood or coal the kelly kettle take 3min for 3cups of boiling water, after the water has boiled i can use the grillbar for cooking.

For true winter use a petrol stove is the best.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The slickest little stove I've ever seen or used was a fold up job size of a pack of cards. fit in a shirt pocket, had a box of 20 tablets, fit inside. Just enough fire from each tablet to heat a can of soup, or stew.

Don't recall the name on them now, seems like Esbit, wouldn't bet though. Got a dozen or more in Germany in the early 70's. Dad, Uncle and I rode 8 miles up the creek elk hunting. I'd told them I'd take care of lunch n supper on the way back both with canned stew. they agreed. When I pulled that out and set it up. They were p'd and stated so.

Really surprised 'em both when I handed them a P-38 and can of stew so hot they had to set it down. I have a few still around and keep one in my back packs. Haven't used 'em for 20yrs. Would be surprised if the tablets could be had. I mailed about 50 paks and dozen or more "stoves" home before I came back. Most were given to friends over the years. Handy lil suckers.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Esbit meta tablets is available and their stoves is popular in the ultra light trekking groups.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep that's it!
Mighty handy for a back pack. Just take a few cans of soup or such. one tablet is all that's needed to heat it almost too hot to hold while you open the can.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canned food is heavy its better to take some freezedryed soups or dinners. A typical freezedryed dinner weights 175g/5oz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must note that while Coleman liquid fueled appliances will run on regular unleaded gas they will run longer and with less maintainance and fiddling if run exclusively on Coleman fuel

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
wall tent and coleman lanterns, old stuff and still the best..I still have my old lanterns..and fuel comes in tin containers not glass or plastic..good for packing on a pack horse or mule..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post