New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED lanterns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody use one of these? Have any recommendations?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36470 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what model you are looking at (big or small), but I’ve used a Black Diamond Orbit for years and love it. This is a backpacking mini-lantern with variable intensity. Given the advance in LEd technology, I might look for an LED replacement for my classic 221B white gas lantern.

Posts: 7777 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
LEDs have certainly changed things in the world of lighting.

Batteries last forever and pretty good amount or intensity of light.

Matter of fact I keep meaning to see what they have available to replace the bulb in my full sized Mag Lite.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

Matter of fact I keep meaning to see what they have available to replace the bulb in my full sized Mag Lite.

Indeed. The inventor of the blue LED which has spawned this technology won a Nobel prize.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:

If you have a 3 cell mag light, the replacement bulb they offer is quite awesome. I bought one, then liked it so much I bought another. They throw a decent 80 yard beam (meaning you can actually see what you are shining your light at, not just you can see a spot 80 yards away). The best part is the batteries last forever. What I have to do is replace them once a year as they will leak if you do not. Even when they are leaking they still make a decent though noticeably reduced light. But it screws up the inside of the flashlight. These 3 cell lights would get used several times a week, so the batteries last a tremendously long time!
Now if you have a 2 cell maglight I got a bulb for a 2 C cell maglight a couple years ago and it is OK for inside a house but a little underpowered for outside IMHO. However I just bought a 2 D cell maglight at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago and have ordered a new LED bulb which hasn't arrived yet, when it does I'll post how well it works.

For lantern and flashlights I have been straying away from expensive ones and buying china stuff off ebay. For lights I am moving towards the ones using the "18650" rechargeable cells. They are small, cheap, and powerful. The main annoyance is it is pretty much impossible to find one with an on-off button switch, they all have various features you have to toggle through some 1/3 the time you turn it on you'll get a strobe. It's an annoyance but a minor one.

Here is the most recent flashlight I bought. I ordered one and liked it so much I bought a few more. I am including the actual link as I have found that some sellers are better than others. This seller shipped fast and with no issues so I like to give credit where it is due:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sky-W...p2057872.m2749.l2649

These things are less than $3.50! So you can have a few and I suppose they will eventually die but one is over a year old, gets frequent use, and it still going strong.

My only "relatively pricey" light I use any more is made by a company called "Hybridlight", my model is the "Journey 160" :

This also gives a very good beam, has a high and low, and on low will definitely shine all night. They have a built in solar panel that actually works but it needs about 2 hours sun for 1 hour of light, but you can charge it with a USB and it can also be used as a USB power bank. For actual multi-day use camping this is the one I bring. And it is supposedly 100% waterproof (charger ports have a cap for them with a tight O ring). For a trip to Africa or anywhere else remote this is what I'd recommend hands down, unless you wanted to get the bigger model up from this. This is about the size of a 2C cell light.

I have a couple rechargeable lanterns but while they work well enough to read by and go all night on a charge I suspect most any of them will do it. Again, my experence with Hybridlight is I would buy one of their lanterns if going somewhere remote as I think they make an excellent product.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, gave me some kind of a flashlight that I can stand on my roof and light up twin falls and that 8 miles down the road. Has little batteries and you can get them at Sportsman whse..Best damn light Ive ever seen and its all steel and tough as nails..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, Ray, got a brand name and model number?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16345 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably sure fire.