New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire Starter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Take empty toilet paper spools and cut them to half length. With scissors flute one end and fold the flutes in to make somewhat of a bottom and so that it will set upright. Place in a paint roller tray and fill the spools with sawdust (dryer lint can also be used. Melt old candles and pour over this, saturating it well. Any spillage or overflow can be recycled. When lit they will burn long enough to get a fire started even with wet wood and can be used to start charcoal. They are waterproof. Carry a couple in your vehicle for emergency.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cotton soaked in Vaseline works great too. Coughlan makes small ones you can buy, and I keep them in a waterproof match container. Easy peasy.

Posts: 7761 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Cotton soaked in Vaseline works great too. Coughlan makes small ones you can buy, and I keep them in a waterproof match container. Easy peasy.

X2
DIY cottonwool & vaseline in exact same containers.

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pillow case full of lint from the wifes dryer, great fire starter..and a handful is easy to pack around in your back pocket and its dry, no need to soak it in anything..

In our camp a 5 gallon can of sawdust soaked damp in kerosene for morning fire starter..A big spoonful will start any fire pronto..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
When it cold and raining or snowing, nothing beats a tiger torch. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
That lint starter is much better if it's all cotton .

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back 20 yeas ago when I was selling firewood a friend used to help with the sections that were too big to lift onto my hydraulic log-splitter...

He would use his big stihl saw lengthwise on a 20-24" length of 30" diameter tree trunk and it would make these beautiful long curls of wood that quickly clogged his saw, but I'd promptly scoop up several garbage pails worth of them..

a handful of those dried curls would allow me to make a roaring fire in only a few minutes with even a single glowing coal found in the ashes...

I once made it 104 days without using a single match...

But to really get things going a double handful of that dried thin wood with the second handful dug out of a coffee can filled with drain oil would ignite any firewood even if soaking wet...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn;t yo mama teach you since enough to get out of the rain before you built a fire!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 18516 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

In our camp a 5 gallon can of sawdust soaked damp in kerosene for morning fire starter..A big spoonful will start any fire pronto..

This is the best fire starter I have ever used (ok, mine is diesel instead of kero but same idea).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure + taking some 4-0000 steel wool + using it connected to the posts of your 6 volt flashlight battery. Be ready though because it flares immediately. Speaking of the toilet paper, we would put a roll in a coffee can fill it with rubbing alcohol + it would work as a wick + bit of handwarmer in the deer blind + doesn't smoke or smell.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Big Grin

A little diesel from the water separator...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14327 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post