New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canvas Wall Tents?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all,

I'm looking to pick-up a Canvas Wall Tent and am stuck on the Wilderness Wall Tent by Wall Tent Shop

Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 June 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Montanas are popular among Oregon elk hunters. Haven't heard of the Wilderness before.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with that brand either. I do have a Cabelas Alagnak spike tent after selling my wall tent years ago. It was made by Rainier tent & awning in Kent Washington.

Years back wall tents tended to be made more by local companies than they are now. Today since they started to get marketed by big name stores like Cabelas a lot of the smaller local companies have gone away. This is in some ways too bad.

When I bought my Rainier used from an outfitter I had the original company refurb it with some improvements. The whole thing still cost me less than a new tent would have been.

If you like the features and materials I say go for it. Nice thing about wall tents is they don't lose value very fast and if you take care of them they last a long time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where your located, around here there’s a couple Amish gents who’ll make whatever you want. I have a 17 by 17 Rainier that’s seen some use. Has steel tubing frame with with fiberglass rafters. Infinitely adjustable, super strong. Breaks down and fits in a short pickup bed.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they're around anymore but I had two "Canvas Cabins" brand, made here in Estacada, Oregon. They had good soil cloth material as I recall, curved entrance door zippers, ceiling vents, etc. We used aluminium irrigation pipe for framing. They held up well under a snow load. A lot of thought went into their construction.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently sold all my old heavy oversize wall tents used in elk camp...At my age I only buy green bannas! soooooo

Todays best waltent are the light nylon tents, expensive but you can pack 4 or 4 on one horse, maybe more, and that material is tough as steel, I would surely check into that before I bought canvas..I borrowed one a couple of years ago and two of us set it up 14x18x5ft walls..We were impressed..just like the old tents just a better lighter material and stronger than the canvas..I say Nylon but may not have been, but its as light as a bed sheet..AND ITS FIRE PROOF..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post