Find
Notify
Tools

BWCA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Boundary Water Canoe Area wilderness Northern MN

Anybody here beside myself that spends time canoeing fishing and camping up there.

I just got done with 6 day trip of about 40 miles caught some fish saw some moose had a good time.

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog what lakes did you visit? My first trip to the BWCA was nearly 20 years ago and I've been fortunate to return almost every year. Here's a report and some photos from a trip to Wood Lake this past May: http://forums.accuratereloadin...7221043/m/9811065112 Crossing my fingers I can be part of a trip again this September.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go all over this this June we went to Nina moose entry pt 16 and did a loop onto Lac la Croix.

last year entry pt 37

My first trip was in 1968;

A very nice area for sure

I even drew a bear permit and shot a bear up there in 2010.

Do you belong to bwca.com a great bwca recourse

http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?...12&action=enterForum

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went into Lac la Croix a couple years ago through that entry point and stayed in Boulder Bay. Got rained on 6 out of 7 days but the fishing was spectacular. We were just behind a moose on a portage en-route to Iron Lake but never saw it.

I've seen that BWCA site a few times but haven't registered- thanks for the link.

Boulder Bay in-between rain showers.

Last September we went to the South Arm of Knife Lake, which was a haul but there was some really spectacular scenery and I caught my first lake trout in Lake Sema.

My avatar is a photo from Lake Three a few years ago.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never been to Knife but well get there one of my trips.

Boulder bay is a very nice area as are the number lakes. I was there just after the fire a couple years ago it was very interesting in the burn area,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our group usually paddles into a lake and sets up camp for a few days and Lake Three has historically been the usual spot. Going into Horseshoe is usually worth it too.

We went into Lake Three just before and after the fire of 2011 and it really surprised me how intense the burn was in some areas. It's 345 rods from Lake Three to Rock of Ages Lake and then another 110 to Path Lake and since the portage trails were all burned away we did lots of bushwhacking over mostly bare terrain to get to Path. Here's some photos from that.

The wildflowers were incredible.

Rock of Ages Lake before the fire:

After:

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fire was bad but I found the land scape to be vey interesting with out all the tree cover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was fascinating to see and will be as the land continues to grow back up. There was a campsite on Lake Three that we visited several times and was my favorite in the BWCA, but it was completely torched in the fire and will never be the same. I felt sad paddling past the charred remnants of trees I recognized but of course fires are a necessity and it all will be grown back sometime.

Between Rock of Ages Lake and Path Lake, September 2012:

one of us
posted Hide Post
We found a lot of old cans and stuff in the burnt area of the beaten path.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations for two old farts with fishing and some variations in lakes with minimal portages and 4-7 days spent goofing off, NOT covering ground?

May get lazy and rent all boat related gear and some camping gear there.

Any general canoe rental rates?

Base out of Ely???

Base out of some other "civilized" site???

Base out of some other place more off the beaten path???

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Entry point 14 little Indian Sioux north or entry 16 moose river to Anges lake both have great fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On occasion we rent gear (canoes and paddles) from Piragis in Ely: http://www.piragis.com/partial...tial-outfitting.html A two seat kevlar canoe is $40/day. Probably not the cheapest, but they have very good gear.

From my experience, it takes just one 180 rod portage to get to Wood Lake at Entry Point 26 and there has always been good fishing there. Otherwise there's just two portages to Lake Three or Lake Four from Lake One at Entry Point 30. An easy trip but fishing can be hit or miss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:
On occasion we rent gear (canoes and paddles) from Piragis in Ely: http://www.piragis.com/partial...tial-outfitting.html A two seat kevlar canoe is $40/day. Probably not the cheapest, but they have very good gear.

From my experience, it takes just one 180 rod portage to get to Wood Lake at Entry Point 26 and there has always been good fishing there. Otherwise there's just two portages to Lake Three or Lake Four from Lake One at Entry Point 30. An easy trip but fishing can be hit or miss.

All good areas it is hard to find a bad one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
All good areas it is hard to find a bad one

I agree. I just got myself a spot in a group headed to Disappointment Lake next week. Now the anticipation can build.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunted and shot a bear on Disappointment in 2010. Brother in law likes going there in June for walleyes.

That's a easy trip one portage.