THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

AR wishes our members a Happy Passover

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea  Hop To Forums  Camping And Outdoors    Is it OK to pour boiling water into a plastic USGI canteen?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it OK to pour boiling water into a plastic USGI canteen?
 Login/Join

posted
As title states, I was wondering if the GI plastic canteens can take being filled with boiling water without losing shape?

I figured someone here probably knows the answer!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it.

If you did, and then screwed on the top, any air inside would expand and create a lot of pressure.

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What type of plastic is used ? If it's in the polyethylene family that's on the borderline .
Me ? I'm a metallurgist so it's hard to admit plastics exist !

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my use of the USGI plastic canteens on active
duty c. 1977-84, we were instructed not to heat
them to anything more than "somewhat warm" -- no boiling water. In the field, at times there were chow setups that had big (clean) galvanized 40 or 50 gallon trashcans with heaters on them that had boiling water available to clean the old WW2 style messkits. IIRC, they had a process of 3 successive cans -- pre-wash, detergent scrub and rinse. No canteens ever came close to them, that I knew of.

I do know that I never wanted to take a chance on hot (HOT) water in one of them.
Hope this helps,
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to sterilize it? If so just use a cold solution of Clorox and water. Rinse three times with clean water and you are done.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post