New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting ready to pull the trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
on a trailer, around 21 ft or so. Now, when dealing with a dealer, does anyone know what kind of profit margin they have on new and used trailers? I cannot even begin to negotiate without some knowledge of what his bottom line is.
When buying used from a dealer, is it reasonable to assume that he has gone through and checked everything out, and that everything works? Is it reasonable to ask him to demonstrate this? How about depreciation on new trailers?
Any help would be appreciated.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
on a trailer, around 21 ft or so. Now, when dealing with a dealer, does anyone know what kind of profit margin they have on new and used trailers? I cannot even begin to negotiate without some knowledge of what his bottom line is.
When buying used from a dealer, is it reasonable to assume that he has gone through and checked everything out, and that everything works? Is it reasonable to ask him to demonstrate this? How about depreciation on new trailers?
Any help would be appreciated.
Peter

Pull up camping world 10k - cwh - look at gross margin and read the financials and the accompanying commentary.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The “list price” on new trailers is at least 25-30% above what they hope to get. Best deals are usually new but 2019 or 2018 models and I wouldn’t pay over 60% of list price, probably less. Right now it’s a buyers market and dealers are hurting for cash.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wound up buying a 2018 22 ft. trailer, used. I also bought a used VW Toureg TDI (SUV), to pull it. I have used it twice so far. Seems OK, but the A/C in the trailer is very loud.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post