New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stove for car camping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've bought just about every kind of camping stove imaginable, but having spent a lot of time in Asia, I bought a small, one burner butane stove overseas that cost me about $12.

That is the best stove I've ever had. No muss, no fuss. Just turn on the burner knob and you have a burner flame just like the one you have at home.

No matches, no pumping, no starter paste, just a quick turn of the knob.

I used it for two weeks on a recent hunting trip, from two to three times a day, making coffee, cooking meat, and heating canned food. Never had to change out the canister.

Cheap, convenient, and easy to stow.

Where has it been all my life?

Canisters can be bought in Asian food stores for about $6 for a 4 pack.

Beats the heck out of white gas and specialty fuels.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Thanks for the tip! Big Grin

Posts: 18526 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Care to give some actual information about the stove so the rest of us can find one?

I mean you have praised it all to heck but did not say anything about what kind it is or where to get one.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7777 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butane has limitations in cold weather and at high altitudes.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.optimusstoves.com/...59-optimus-crux-lite

72g/2oz

A mix butane/propane gas works better in cold but not as good as petrol.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stove for car camping

Car camping is different than remote or backpacking.

I like the two burner stoves. I set up on a stainless table, fixed or folding or rollup. If available I also use the campground picnic table.

I sometimes consider upgrading, but the one I have been using for over three years is working so well that I haven't any complaints. Why fix something that isn't broken? It's just the common Coleman propane and I have it hooked up to the 20 lb. bottle.

I try to stay in designated camp sites in State parks, provincial parks, but sometimes in commercial campgrounds, and sometimes I rent a KOA cabin. In either case, I can setup my cook station and make dinner and breakfast just fine. I have a canopy that attaches to the side of my van that serves as a cook shelter in case of rain.

I set up a tent big enough to stand up in, and plenty of space for two people and two large dogs. I never cook or eat in the tent. No food or dog food allowed in the tent, and I put cook ware, coolers, anything that smells like food inside the van at night and shut the doors.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19627 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I set up an ancient 2-burner Coleman propane stove on the tailgate, park into the wind.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14360 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Care to give some actual information about the stove so the rest of us can find one?

I mean you have praised it all to heck but did not say anything about what kind it is or where to get one.

It’s just a basic one burner butane stove. You see them in Asian grocery stores and I’ve seen them in Big 5 Sporting Goods stores.

They are pretty common and different companies make them.

My stove is the Housekeeper HK-7000. In many countries they are a standard portable cook stove.

The Walmart link shows the same kind of stove.

I hope this helps.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
I set up an ancient 2-burner Coleman propane stove on the tailgate, park into the wind.

+1

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2. I have a number of small portable backpacking stoves that can be used for car camping as well. But, if you are staying in campgrounds, etc., the two burner Coleman fits the bill perfectly for me. tu2

Posts: 18526 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have a coleman 2-burner that's probably 30-40 years old. they're kind of a pain to use though.

for the same footprint, a Partner Steel stove is the bomb -- we do quite a few multi-day river trips and the 18" 4 burner is our mainstay. they're absolutely bomb-proof and 4 20K BTU burners can cook a lot of food quickly.

https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 burner and a 3 burner on heavy cast iron legs for fishing trips, mostly on the tail gate of my pickup for summer trips in mild weather..We used them for our elk camps in the cook tent along with wood stove..a wood stove to heat the tents..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For car camping nothing to me beats the old school 2 burner Coleman. I have been using one since I was a kid on family car camps, scouting and for decades as an adult.

In my car I keep a MSR International which is multi fuel. The newest models take both canisters and liquid fuel. This is an emergency stove as I travel a lot not a car camping stove.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1025 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post