New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am planning on spending about two weeks on a camping trip next year with no reasonable access to the outside world. We will be a couple of degrees North of the Equator in June.

I am thinking about using a hammock. I bought a Hennessey Safari Deluxe with the No-See-Um mesh.

Any thoughts or comments?

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about the one you have but I can vouch for these...

www.mosquitohammock.com

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that looks good. When using one with a sewn on net you need to make sure you don't end up resting an arm or your back against the netting while sleeping. The no-see-ums will find their way to your flesh if you do.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I am planning on spending about two weeks on a camping trip next year with no reasonable access to the outside world. We will be a couple of degrees North of the Equator in June.

I am thinking about using a hammock. I bought a Hennessey Safari Deluxe with the No-See-Um mesh.

i bought the same hammock for use on my self guided hunt in Cameroon last year. it came highly recommended by Cam Greig who arranges these hunts. unfortunately Air France lost my luggage so I never saw the hammock again until 3 weeks after i got home. seems like a quality bit of kit, though.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:

i bought the same hammock for use on my self guided hunt in Cameroon last year. it came highly recommended by Cam Greig who arranges these hunts. unfortunately Air France lost my luggage on the way in, so I never saw the hammock again until 3 weeks after i got home. seems like a quality bit of kit, though.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the hammock for a hunt with Cam in the Congo this year.

Unfortunately Cam had to push the hunt back until next year.

So far the most important thing I have learned is to make certain it is very tight when setting up.

I have the snake skins so it is easy to setup and to stow away.

I also find it comfortable to sleep.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Hennessy Hammock for several years. Mine is the "delux" I believe(one size smaller than the "safari").

I have used mine in almost every situation from driving(howling!) California rain to warm nights in Zone 10 in Cameroon.

As far as I am concerned these hammocks give you the best night sleep in the outdoors. I have even thought of stringing one up in my bedroom.

The netting is very good at keeping bugs out but if you are traveling to a bug infested location I would treat the entire hammock with permethrin. That stuff stops bugs dead in their tracks.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started Hammock camping last year. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and tarp

I think you will enjoy it. I sleep better in a hammock than in a tent.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use scandinavían style mountain tents they are mosqito sealed and have good ventilation. I have used them in africa too.

www.bergans.no

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for naps, but you can get a real back ache in one all night..or at least the ones Ive slept in on a very few ocassions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics and the info. I've never used one, but might be trying one out in the future! tu2

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post