New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dutch ovens
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many use Dutch ovens for cooking while camping?

We have them in South Africa and I realy enjoy using mine over some good bushveld wood coals.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, started using one a few years ago when my son started Cub Scouting. My favorite dish so far is a quick and easy peach cobbler using home-canned peaches. Mmm, mmm, good.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a roast going in one right now.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 10 inch ovens right now and like them a lot when camping

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

Posts: 519 | Registered: 28 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Don't laugh, but when I was taking my kids camping (a few years ago now) I of course wanted to make the peach cobbler recipe where you use cake mix and canned peaches and I found a pyrex dutch oven for a couple dollars in a second hand store. I bought it figuring if it worked once I'd be happy and big surprise but it does a great job with the bonus that everyone can see the stuff cooking inside. If I ever break this one I'll be replacing it with another pyrex one.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have got one of the african stew pots think my one is a number 3

on the american cowboy style have a couple of stacks of dutch ovens from 20'' down to 5''

and

a half stack of the flat bottoms to cook on the stove w

also roasters and bean pots

4 aluminium for pie crust 2x12 2x10

one stack is shallow 20-16-14-12-10-6-5

the other stack is deep 20-16-14-12-10-6

3-4 skillets w lids for this and that

way overboard

cook in em weekly

love using them

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOVE cooking in dutch ovens. A spill over from my Boy Scout days. I've a few cast iron ones for out of doors, and a few enameled ones for indoors. Did a braised leg of lamb and provencal style white beans a few weeks ago in two of them.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Dutch ovens from 5" to 16" and cook with them regularly. Just returned from a scout camp out. One of the boys in the troop made the comment he didn't eat as well at home.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Makes me realize I haven't cooked outside with one in a while. Use my inside Dutchie when I make chili.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too haven't used one for years. I used it the most while camping in the scouts. We would make peach cobbler with bisquick. It was good, and I don't really care for peaches. Apple cobbler was my favorite. I have some fond memories of summer camp at Camp Ma Ka Ja Wan in Wisconsin.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mix equal parts of honey, soy sauce, and chili sauce. Grease you oven with a thin layer of crisco and lay pork chops or chicken in the bottom of your oven and pour sauce over it. Cook for a little over an hour.

Also works well with an oven and an open skillet.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use them for camping, and my mother and my wife used them in their kitchen, nothing cooks food as well, any ranch raised lady knows that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of them, from 5" to 22". The 22" one is used for large gatherings or turkeys. I've cooked a 41 pound turkey in the thing; that's about as big as I could get in the pot. I use smaller ones (16") for other dishes such as scalloped potatoes, enchilada casserole, easy bake chicken meals, etc. They are a great way to cook in the house or outside!

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a bevy of them as well, all Lodge brand, along with everything one could possibly think of in order to make dutch oven cooking simple and enjoyable. Have been eating dutch oven food for 60 years and counting. Big Grin

Posts: 18530 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post