THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Elk cape ruined in the care of taxidermist.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk cape ruined in the care of taxidermist.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So as the subject stated, I have lost an elk cape. I harvested a bull on a cool overcast day with on and off light drizzle. We had the bull gutted in under 45 minuets and skinned out within 4 hours, the head was to the taxidermist within 11 hours. I contacted the taxidermist today to see if he had gotten it back from the tannery. He informed me the cape had slipped and didn’t know why. He did not blame me at all. He remembered me bringing it too him to ensure the cape would be good. He also remembered telling me the cape would be fine as I’m always concerned about slippage. He said he cooled it down properly before freezing.

So none of the above really matters now. He is a reputable taxidermist located in my home province of Saskatchewan Canada. What is normal protocol? Too bad for me? He supplies a new cape? He supplies a cape of the same size? I never took any measurements, but the hanging wait at the butcher was 816lbs so a dam big elk. Or does he supply a similar cape and more?

I’m gutted the cape is nearly just as important to me as the antlers are. I would never opt for a donor cape if I didn’t have too. I’m so glad I took the head home and euro mounted it my self as I’m not even sure if I want to do a shoulder mount now.

I’m not happy about the cape slipping, but do understand that sometimes things happen. The one thing that adds to my extreme disappointment and anger is that I had contacted him a month ago via messenger asking about my cape. He saw that message but did not respond. Then I text him today and found this all out. If he would have contacted me in January or whenever he found out I probably wouldn’t be so upset.

Regards
A frustrated and disappointed Canadian Mulie

Posts: 65 | Location: Western Australia, Australia. / Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nobody2
posted Hide Post
So why was it put in the freezer?
Suspect that it spoiled in the thawing process/neglected (?)

Posts: 274 | Location: Wa. | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also would have thought that you should flesh out on arrival and salt. Then ship to a tannery. It’s a small one man show who also farms. So I understand that for him to turn out as many mounts as he does, he needs to send them to someone else to take some of the work load. He is a very good taxidermist I have a mule deer mounted by him. His quality of work on that mount is very good. I just don’t know what path to take about my cape now.

CM

Posts: 65 | Location: Western Australia, Australia. / Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most taxidermist would not flesh and salt a cape immediately. It makes a mess. We flesh and salt several capes at a time.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Chuck, where did you come up with that silly notion? I don't know who "most" are but as a hunter and a taxidermist, camping quickly and laying it out is imperative. Then the flashing and salting come as quickly as I can get back to it. A rolled up, green cape is simply begging for trouble. An elk with a thick hide is a prime candidate for slipping. In the field rough flashing, turning ears, and splitting lips is a priority. After that, salting is your friend and salvation.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Chalk it up to "shit happens" and be happy with your Euro mount.
For me I wouldn't want a different cape on my Elk, I'd just make do with a Euro mount.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Chuck, where did you come up with that silly notion? I don't know who "most" are but as a hunter and a taxidermist, camping quickly and laying it out is imperative. Then the flashing and salting come as quickly as I can get back to it. A rolled up, green cape is simply begging for trouble. An elk with a thick hide is a prime candidate for slipping. In the field rough flashing, turning ears, and splitting lips is a priority. After that, salting is your friend and salvation.

George I'm talking about a hunter bringing a cape to my shop. I don't drop everything and flesh a cape as soon as a cape comes in, I'd never get anything done. Over the years I've mounted thousands of heads. I can remember only 2 capes other than antelope that slipped! Obviously if the cape can't be frozen it should be fleshed ,turned and salted. Freezing will stop the rotting and give you a chance to get it fleshed and salted. A little "stop rot" does amazing things!

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Chuck, we're on the same page, different verses. I was referring to field prep before it came through my door.

One observation that I've made over the years (and I know there are some fly-by-night crooks outfitting) but outfitters west of the Mississippi seem to take better field care precautions that the guys east of the river. Bears in particular. I can bet an Ontario/Quebec/Maine bear is going to come in the shop with 50 pounds of fat with the paws and head still on the hide. I had one nimrod come in from Easter Canada who bragged about his outfitter caring for his caribou hide. I opened the black garbage bag and water ran out. I unrolled the hide and it had rock salt sprinkled all over the green hide with ears, lips and eyes untouched. Pissed me off that it came back from the tannery in pristine condition. He DESERVED to lose that hide.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Chuck, we're on the same page, different verses. I was referring to field prep before it came through my door.

One observation that I've made over the years (and I know there are some fly-by-night crooks outfitting) but outfitters west of the Mississippi seem to take better field care precautions that the guys east of the river. Bears in particular. I can bet an Ontario/Quebec/Maine bear is going to come in the shop with 5 pounds of fat with the paws and head still on the hide. I had one nimrod come in from Easter Canada who bragged about his outfitter caring for his caribou hide. I opened the black garbage bag and water ran out. I unrolled the hide and it had rock salt sprinkled all over the green hide with ears, lips and eyes untouched. Pissed me off that it came back from the tannery in pristine condition. He DESERVED to lose that hide.

beer

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Sometimes capes slip for who knows what reason. In our shop all tanning is done at the owners risk. There are to many factors involved that are out of the taxidermists hands to take responsibility for it. You never know what took place at the tannery and a tannery taking responsibility has never happened in the history of the universe.
There are lots of elk capes available and they all pretty much look the same buy another cape so you can have your shoulder mount.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'd buy another cape and roll on. I have two mounts that don't have the same cape. One is an addax that slipped and the other is a black Hawaiian ram from Hawaii that I blew a hole in the neck when I shot him.

The mounts on my wall still look great and I couldn't be happier with them.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As posted, elk capes are pretty plentiful and cheap. A friend killed an OK elk and had them put on a WY cape because of the fuller, thicker hair.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
As posted, elk capes are pretty plentiful and cheap. A friend killed an OK elk and had them put on a WY cape because of the fuller, thicker hair.

I’m not the type to ever go for a donner cape unless something like this happens. If I got an animal that was half way through shedding summer cape and it was ugly I’d still mount it with its cape.

I think I’ve come to an agreement with the taxidermist.

Cm