Find
Notify
Tools

Pedestal mount plans
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
Could someone direct me some place where I can get plans for pedestals. I had an eland, a kudu and a gemsbuck mounted as pedestal mounts. The pedestals did not get shipped because of shipping costs.
Thanks
Jas

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Do a search right here in this forum, you will find a variety of pedestal mounts.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did, but did not find any plans. Lots of examples but not plans.
Thanks
Jas

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jas,

If you can't find any plans, consider designing your own. I don't think it would be very difficult. I am currently trying to come up with my own pedestal design for two pedestal mounts I am having done now (zebra and gemsbok), plus a kudu pedestal mount I already have. I'm staying away from the octagonal design and mine will be square for simplicity sake, and maybe a small built-in book case in each one. That way they can be functional pieces of furniture besides just being a pedestal for a mount.

Another option is to shop for tasteful sofa end tables to set your pedestal mounts on. With my kudu pedestal mount, I just had the taxidermist build a 4" high walnut base with some habitat in it. That way I can set it on any piece of furniture I want, which right now, is an end table. And if the end table height is not tall enough, you can build a nice wood box out of walnut, oak, etc. to set on top of the end table to raise the height of the mount. I know this all sounds a bit contrived, but it actually works pretty good. A lot of pedestal builders want between $400 and $500 to build one, but you can buy quality livingroom end tables cheaper than that, plus they usually have storage room inside. Since I dont have a full woodworking shop, I might just go with the end table idea for all three of my mounts if I can find a design I really like at the furniture store.

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow Glen, what a great set of ideas. Thanks very much. I will let you know how it all went.
Jas

Jas Madhavan

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Jas How are you? Welcome to the forum. Are you getting ready to head to Namibia. I sure wish i was going this year. Chris

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I have a double animal and a single animal pedestal mounts that I built from plans that I sketched. I have several large animals at the taxidermist now (Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, and Scimitar Horned Oryx) that I am thinking of putting some on pedestals that I'll also make.

This double mount pedestal is red oak over a particle board/dimension lumber frame. The front two panels are doors to a cabinet inside (that has been empty since I made it 3 years ago). Top dimensions are 52"x27"x24 1/2"h.

This Zebra pedestal is made from cherry over a dimension lumber frame. It is 17"x17"x30"h.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I took your advise and bought two side tables from the local furniture store and drilled a hole in the center and here are the results:

The pedestals look a heeluva lot better than the trophies, but thats another story.

Chris,
Hope you are well. We leave for Namibia on the 19th. There's still time to get flights!!
Keep in touch
Jas

Jas Madhavan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jas,

Wow, you picked out some very tasteful side tables - they look fantastic! And no, they do not look better than your spectacular trophies. It looks like you did a very good job measuring what pieces would fit with your ceiling height. Everything looks great, it all goes together very well, and I also really like your hardwood floors and baseboards - very classy!

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found some plans for a square Pedestal on a
wood working site for $5

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote