THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    First Timer. Need Texas Taxidermist for African Animals.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Timer. Need Texas Taxidermist for African Animals.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted
I am going to RSA on September 19th. I need Taxidermist recommendations. Who in Texas do you recommend? Do I have them coordinate the shipping from RSA? Please help. I have no clue where to start.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your safari! You WILL enjoy yourself. I just got back after a ten day bowhunt with three friends.
There are several great taxidermist close to you.
I am a full time engineer and a part time taxidermist. I will be doing all of the mounts from this last safari. Including mine, we took 20 nice trophies. I live in North Dallas.
I would be happy to talk to you about mounting your trophies and would be more than happy to give you some names of other taxidermist. I can share with you what I know about getting your trophies tanned and delived to the states.
Drop me an e-mail. dsherpy@hotmail.com

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use B&B Taxidermy in Houston. Mike Baird the owner and one of the taxidermists is really talented and honest. He has done a large number of African animals for me. The phone number is 281 469-2920.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long Bob

I would like to recomend a taxidermist not very far from you, probably 150 miles in Electra, Texas just west of Wichita Falls.

His name is Terry Whitson. He has been a full time taxidermist for several years. He only has one employee for skinning etc. Terry does everything else personally, no assembly line.

About the only thing I can think of from Africa that he has not mounted is elephant. I know a year or so back he mounted a life size rhino. He has done extensive work for a doctor in Fort Worth with a very large game room. I'm pretty sure arrangements could be made for you to see his trophy room if you call Terry and set it up.

Not related to Africa but to Terry's skills I have personally seen a life size mount of an Alaskan Brown Bear, a Black Bear & Mountain Goat. Oh I nearly forgot I saw two African lions that he mounted life size and a lord derby eland life size he mounted.

He is an artist at creating artificial surroundings native for that particular game.

If you haven't commisioned a taxidermist yet give him a call.

Terry Whitson
Electra, Texas
940-495-3829

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the responses here and in e-mail. You have given me several good leads.

<atlasmlc>
posted
Another guy worth recommending is Rick Salsbury. He's not too far from you, in Terrell, TX. He is involved with the Dallas Safari Club (I think)#972-563-2598.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You all realize that this is wishful thinking. We are talking about Longbob here. In fact, he could be a control subject in the lever-action debate; he won't do any worse with a 30-30 than with a 458 [Big Grin]

Hey man, are you going to get a baboon? I think that would be a cool mount, with the fangs and all.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation for B&B Taxidermy in Houston. Taxidermy is one area you don't need to skimp.

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
I have used Woodbury's in Kerrville several times. They do top notch work. They were featured on the Discovery channel at one time. Very high quality.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
I use B&B Taxidermy in Houston. Mike Baird the owner and one of the taxidermists is really talented and honest. He has done a large number of African animals for me. The phone number is 281 469-2920.

I also use B&B Taxidermy. Here's their web site URL:

http://www.bbtaxidermy.com/

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry Huffaker of Abilene posts on this site and is a top notch carcass stuffer. He just recently returned from his own trip to Africa. He has done whitetails and pronghorns for me and several friends and his work is really nice.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott,

I could just take the Baboon carcass and your photo and say "I want it to look just like this!"

[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

[ 09-14-2002, 20:42: Message edited by: ScottB ]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Scott, that is classic!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but they are old pictures, if you couldn't tell. I'm not that handsome anymore [Big Grin]

<Okie Newton>
posted
I was at World class taxidermy in Kerrville in June. There was an African Lion getting ready to get a warthog. Looked very nice. There was also an antelope that looked like it had blood on it from where a big cat had just missed taking it down. The title was not this time. It looked very real. Almost like the blood as still wet.