New
Find
Notify
Tools

modifying bobcat form
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to try to mount my 1st bobcat, got experience with deer and birds but no experience with life size forms. I realize you can't buy exact form and I'm stuck on sitting position, Mckenzie bc672 is 1/5/8 x 17 1/2 x 27, my cat measures 1 3/4 x 13 1/2 x 26 . My question is do you think I can reduce the girth enough to make it work, i was thinking of reducing the hump on the back for starters. Thanks in advance

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks nobody2, my email won't send.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of your experience level and I apologize if you think I'm speaking down to you, but you're never relegated to a single position. even a sitting cat can be altered by removing the legs, segmenting them and foaming them back and "unbending" the body. I don't recommend removing the "hump". That's an integral part of predator cats with their stilted walking. You should certainly be able to grind down the girth to meet your needs but never make any alterations until you test fit your skin on the form. In this particular case, you've shortened the length and that might well increase your girth as cat hides stretch well.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to order at least a two quart urathane foam kit from a taxidermy supply.
It is a very handy item for altering and even making your own manikins. Very often life size forms must be lengthened, girthed, or have head turned or legs moved. But if just twisting a head or pivoting a leg, Bondo will hold it in place fine. Just carve the Bondo to shape and smooth as it starts to harden. That's easier than grinding and sanding after it gets fully set up.
Probably could have ordered a form in any position you wanted and altered the size to fit as needed. Just get a size as close as possible to what you need. I often order a size or so bigger and just remove material in length to fit.
Clay can easily be added to the face and head to be molded after the skin is slid onto the manikin. That helps give flexibility to the facial expressions you can create.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies and I don't think of it as talking down as I asked for advice and you gave it .for that I'm grateful.