Find
Notify
Tools

Using Elephant Hide
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
Who can make things like carry-on bags and purses out of elephant hide other than Walden & Bork? Their prices are really high.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shawn Andres of Alpine Artistry in Arlee, Mt had someone make a very nice overnight bag out of a portion of his elephant hide. I do not know who he used but Shawn is a great guy and I would bet that would be glad to share that info with you.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can find contact information.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Simon Aardema - Salt Lake City, Utah. (801) 968-3337. Top shelf work that is used by many a high dollar shop and then re-branded. I HIGHLY recommend Simon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Simon in SLC.

SBT- What a great problem to have-- elephant hide and the need to do something with it. Something I'll never know about, so I hope you post a few photos of the finished products. Best of luck

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I'll call him on Monday-thanks.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Be sure to tell the old Dutchman "hello"....

Smiler

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip guys, but Simon says "I don't do that exotic stuff".

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Butchbuck,
Shawn had his made in Zimbabwe. So, I'm still looking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sbt

after reading your thread i also made some calls as i have a zebra hide i want to do something with.

i phoned the guy that was recommended in salt lake and he does holsters etc but nothing i was interested in.

then i called dick murray of murray custom leather in texas. i have several of mr murray's slings and bullet holders and they have all been top drawer. www.murraycustomleather.com. i sent my zebra hide there today. i want a couple of gun cases and maybe a brief case etc. you might want to give him a call as he is a prince of a fellow and has always been very helpful and generous with his time.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Good reference Butchbuck. I have one of his slings and love it. I'll contact him.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dick has made two gun cases for me out of my elephant hide. They are extraordinary. They will last decades.

Mike

Posts: 21192 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I just opened the box of my elephant leather case from Dick Murray an hour ago. He was great to work with, honored his price, his time frame and did the custom things I requested.

When I mentioned to my wife I better write my name inside in Sharpie she said, "Just write your last name so our son can use it when you get too old." I guess she's planning on it lasting twenty or thirty years also.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

You also have a wise wife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like something my lovely wife would say...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
That is beautifully done! Also like the look of the table (nice ivory) can you post a picture of the table, interested to see how the ivory come up through the top.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nampom. I just bought a table that I thought would work and cut holes in the top. Tried making patterns but ended up just doing trial and error. A real wood worker could do a much better job but much to my surprise the drawer in the table still works and I didn't have to damage it.

I made the metal caps for the tusks and they have hidden bolts to keep them from sliding around.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote