New
Find
Notify
Tools

European Caribou Antlers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Received mu European Caribou Antlers from the taxidermist in B.C. He was also my guide in the NWT so I thought having him take them with him and then shipping them to me in Washington State would be easier. He included a note saying to use a 5 minute epoxy to hold the horn on. Not sure why it shouldn't stay on by its self like all the others I have had done. It has fallen off twice, the last time taking a lot of the pink stuff with it. Would appreciate any ideas of how I can repair this myself. Returning is not an option and he is not returning any of my emails on how to fix.
Mike

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Clean all that pink stuff off, degrease with thinner, and let dry. There are tons of epoxies out there, try another one. I would probably use acraglass gel.

I would also put it in a vice for a week to dry.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, will give it a try.
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me doesn't look like enough post to attach to, and too much of the inside of the antler removed. If it was to be for removable antlers should be a solid square peg in the antler and a hollow one that the peg fits into in the skull.
Do you mind mentioning the taxidermists name.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Clean all that pink stuff off, degrease with thinner, and let dry. There are tons of epoxies out there, try another one. I would probably use acraglass gel.

I would also put it in a vice for a week to dry.

that pink stuff looks like Bondo from here.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Thats a mess, post not long enough, bondo . there should be a square tubing in both side and a solid square stock inside so the antler will slide on and off.
I would take it to a local taxidermist and have him do it right. You can glue that till forever and it won't stay because there not snough rod up in the antler.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes that is bondo and he told us to clean it all out and put new bondo in it. Will do as Jerry said and let a different taxidermist fix it right. I do not want to mention the young kids name who did all the work. He is aware of the problem and hopefully he can learn from this.
Mike