Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Ideas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'm looking for ways to mount the Cape Buffalo I hope to get in August. Any ideas for a more interesting mount than the standard shoulder or european mount?

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
SBT,

If I ever make it back to hunt Buff (damn stock market [Mad] ), I think that I'll get mine mounted as a shoulder pedestal. That way I can put him behind a love seat in my 'trophy room'.

I'd probably also have him tastefully 'mud encrusted' in spots. I don't like those mounts that have the buff too cleaned up.

Let us know what you decide.

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a double pedestal of Buff. I was going to post a pic, but the one I took is pitiful. Maybe later.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Here is a photo of a buffalo pedestal mount I did for a client a few years back. It is "cleaner" than the average wild buff but his wife wasn't thrilled with a"dirty" buff in their house!

I really liked the way they eyes were turned back toward the stick on it's horn.

-

Personally I thought the base should have been shorter to show the mount off better but the client wanted it tall.

JDS

[ 07-31-2002, 08:19: Message edited by: jds ]

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I once saw a photo of a very interesting mount of buffalo and lions. Seems that the company presidents 3 of them went hunitng at the same time and shot a lion and buffalo each.

Now thay have the three bufflao covering each other full mount with the lions also full mount trying to look for a gap to grab one of the dagaboys.

Very impressive but also very expensive I suppose.

Safari-Hunt

www.Safari-Hunt.com

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedistal buffalo's like the one jds has are very cool. Another Idea is to partially show the font teeth, done right and correct can add alot to a mount.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedestal is the way to go on buffalo,if you want it dramatic,give it a radical eye rotation,with the whites showing,that,s an animal where the 'killer look' looks out of this world,I like it barely showing his teeth,good turn on neck and head and nose up,like saying"I take crap from noone".
Fernando

Posts: 66 | Location: Bethel New York USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a timely topic! I am in the process of trying to hang my shoulder mount of my small buff. I can only say that my ph picked the largest buff that would fit in my stairwell. It has a 32" spread and my stairwell is 38".

I am having to have a special mounting plate machined to take care of the weight because the mount doesn't fit on the stud and forget having the wallboard take the stress.

If I had it to do over, I would get a European mount of just the horns. It would be very compact and very nice. Plus a lot less money. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude,
I don't have to worry about a buf as I don't have the stones to Bowhunt 1 of them [Big Grin] but you do bring up a good point about mount size and access to your trophy room. Mine is downstairs and I have been trying to figure out how to get a Kudu or Bull Elk down. I was told that a good taxidermist can do a head mount with the horns 4-6 inches from the wall. mounted vertically. Does anybody have a picture of a Buf, Kudu or Eland done this way?

Thanks
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Trophy rooms that are hard to access with a trophy such as an Elk, I always ask if my client would like the antlers detachable, which makes it a whole lot easier to manuver around and alot lighter to carry. Best: Bryan

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
SBT

Depending on your taste yo should choose a mount that you like. I would have gone for a European skull mount or just mounting the head and part of the neck. This will make it easier to place the trophy in a good spot.

Down side with very large mounts are that they a PIA to dust and clean.

/ JOHAN