New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artificial Velvet
 Login/Join

<GilaMonster>
posted
I finally got my Caribou back from the taxidermist and man I'm pleased. Prior to the hunt, I asked my taxidermist about options available to keep the velvet intact on by "bou prior to departure for the hunt. I knew the animals would still be in velvet and wanted the animal to look the same after being mounted. He informed me of the options, and didcussed a process that is available for replacing the velvet with artificial stuff. He had a sample set of muley antlers there to show me. It seemed like the most logical option at the time because getting the antlers from Northern Quebec back to New Mexcio without damage to the velvet would be unlikely the way airlines treat baggage. I'm not sure where the antlers were sent to have the process applied, but the end result is awsome. The process is so good in fact, that i doubt I will ever keep natural velvet on any trophy from now on. Here's a picture.
 -

[ 09-23-2002, 02:44: Message edited by: GilaMonster ]

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Sir,

Your caribou looks great!

The company that probably did the "velvet" is Research Mannikins, a taxidermy supply company. Their website is:

http://www.rmi-online.com/

I don't know if they advertise the "velvet' on the site but it is in their catalogue. you can order a catalogue directly from the site.

Anyone who is interested in having it done can send their antlers directly to Research without having to pay a "middleman" fee to the taxidermist. Also, it can be put on any set of antlers and they have two or three color variations to choose from.

You are right, they do an incredible job with the velvet!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<GilaMonster>
posted
I apologize for not naming the company, but I couldn't remember the name of it and was going to ask my taxidermist again, but you are right. These are the people who did the work and their work is first rate too, Thanks for the link!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing job buddy ---never even knew the process existed

Posts: 87 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
<GilaMonster>
posted
Hey JG, you tracked me down mate.. It's really a fantastic process. They require field photos to match the exact color and lighter areas like on the top of the shovel and the bez points as well. Really first class work but a little expensive.