THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Seeking advice on pedestal for Cape Buff mount, Updated 24 Oct. 2020

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking advice on pedestal for Cape Buff mount, Updated 24 Oct. 2020
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My taxidermist will mount a Cape Buff for me in readiness for display as a Pedestal Mount.
I am to arrange making the pedestal and I am thinking of a cabinet style ( similar to that pictured ).
Height will be about 750 mm ( 29.50 inches ) and I need to know if there should be a certain base size suitable for this. The top surface hole for sliding the stake attached to the mount into will be slightly offset to one side. Base of the pictured unit is 21 and a bit inches each side. I will set it on castors for easy movement and might even have some internal steel plate for counter balance if necessary.
Any advice appreciated. Thankyou.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Cape Buffalo are Huge. I think you will find that Pedestal is way to small. My base for my Kudu is a hexagon 40" X 27"

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I agree with Slider. The base for my Eland is a 22" wide octagon and is stable for that mount.

My shoulder mount Cape buffalo is almost 23" wide, and that mount looks much more massive than my Eland. I would want at least 24" wide for a Buffalo.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate thr replies:, thankyou gents.
My taxidermist now has the Buff form and this past weekend I visited to discuss suitable pedestal dimensions. We will go bigger than originally imagined. The pedestal will be square shaped with each side bottom measuring 750 mm ( 29.50 inches ) wide. Overall height will be 800 mm ( 31.50 inches ) and sides tapering inwards as they rise. On one side internally we will add extra wood weight to counter the nose heavy tendency of the mount. Hoping it's all done sometime during April. I will post some pics later to show you the final result.
Cheers

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
... I will set it on castors for easy movement ...

If you put a sheet of cardboard under the pedestal you can easily slide it over most surfaces.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1631 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
buffybr
one of us

posted 05 February 2020 10:00
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
... I will set it on castors for easy movement ...

If you put a sheet of cardboard under the pedestal you can easily slide it over most surfaces.

Yes, quite right, this works. However, the few lifesize mounts I have require moving when cleaning my trophy room and their awkward shapes makes getting them onto cardboard sheet a bit tricky. Having been there, done that, my future floor displayed mounts will go on castors. I have one already on castors. What a difference !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on whom is going to be moving the pedestal to clean. At my age we have a gal that comes every two weeks. She is great but I have a 41 inch sable that is coming home soon and after much research I bought the largest pedestal that McKenzie sells. It will have casters and I intend to weight the bottom so that it can be moved but hard to turn over (and break horns!). Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I have no idea of the proximity of you to your taxidermist, but if you're close, hold off on building your pedestal. When you cape is measured, the taxidermist will know what size form he will use and will likely order it. He'll still be months away from you getting the mount back but you can look at the manikin and get a better idea. Whomever makes the form will likely have differing attach points and you can see exactly where your mount is going to "plug into" the table. A big demand (at least in my shop) was for a rotating mount. It took some engineering but you can buy 1 rpm motors and have the mount swing back through an arch of 45, 90, or 180 degrees so that everyone in the room gets the full view. I had my mounts rigged up to a motion sensor so that only when someone came into the room, did the mount swivel. All my bigger dioramas had hidden 3 inch caster with only about 1/2 inch exposed. This allowed movements across hardwoods and carpets with the same ease.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cape buffalo should be mounted on the wall, on a peddistal my clients have said someone is always bumping into it, but I see that on buff wall mounts also..You have half of 1600 lb. animal hanging out there, call for a high ceiling and a large room IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
My taxidermist already had the form when I originally posted above. Interestingly, he gets the largest forms he can but has had to bulk them up for my mounts. For the current mount I want just a standard pedestal, without fancy gizmos, but on castors for manoeuvreing. I have a cabinet maker contact who is now primed to make the pedestal. I ran the dimensions past my taxidermist and he is happy. Should be completed during April, all going well.

Ray,
Already have two on the wall. Very impressive mounts, and huge. Getting them hung was an adventure. I'm saving some wall space for future mounts ( I hope ! ) hence the reason for going pedestal for this current mount.

Thanks for the comments guys.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Not a cape buff but just sharing the pic of the base with you. Look forward to seeing your buff ped mount!

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a progress report.
The pedestal is getting close. I went to look at it yesterday and sort some final details before we go into lockdown from tonight for 4 weeks, which may be extended, and because I am not sure when I will be able to collect. The top will be stained with the edges rounded gently and the slot in the top still need to be cut. The main body will get a clear finish. Castors are installed. Should be finished next week. I decided t keep the design simple overall, as you can see.
Click on images to enlarge.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Cape buffalo should be mounted on the wall, on a peddistal my clients have said someone is always bumping into it, but I see that on buff wall mounts also..You have half of 1600 lb. animal hanging out there, call for a high ceiling and a large room IMO..

Concur, I am not someone who appreciates pedistals.

My brother in law was a taxidermist for a few years. He mounted one of my father's B&C antelope on a pedestal. Not a fan.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted 28 March 2020 04:55

I am not someone who appreciates pedistals.

I'm not sure just yet how much I may like this pedestal. Having made the decision I will find out soon enough. My trophy room has plenty of vertical wall space but not much remaining horizontal space. I probably would have wall hung my buff if getting the mount onto the wall wasn't such a formidable task. Already have two wall mounted, so I know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grant: You have made a great decision! My friend had his buffalo
mounted on a pedestal and I really like it.

A good taxidermist can do amazing things with a pedestal!

Congrats

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Thankyou. Your enthusiasm cheers me during this enforced lockdown. My cabinet maker was planning to have it finished this week but he's probably been forced to close his shop so it might be a few weeks away. I can't travel to collect it anyway so not worth fretting about that.
Also, no comms from my taxidermist lately who will also have closed his shop but I hope he's not sick with CV-19.
Several aspects of life are in suspension with this CV-19 lockdown creating frustration and boredom. Can't wait for it to pass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grant:

I hope you post the pics when completed!

I am also bored out of my mind. If I have learned one thing, I’m going to take few things for granted.

I have a triple mount of plains game and a double impala on a pedestal. One is a dark walnut wood and the other is cedar.

I’d certainly consider doing a pedestal again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Yep, for sure, will post pics when it's all together, whenever that is. My taxidermist, Pete, called me today. He's not currently receiving anything but taking the opportunity to work without interruption to catch up on a pile of taxidermy. Schools are closed here so his son is temporarily employed helping him. My Buff for the pedestal is in progress.

I try to not take things for granted, not always successfully. But something like CV-19 does make one think a little more broadly. Will be interesting to see how peoples' thinking changes in CV-19's wake, if it does. For me at least, I will have some catch up hunting to do for starters.

Your pedestals sound quite classy Jason. When I get my pics perhaps we could compare what each of us has...??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!

I’d be glad to send some pics

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a brief update on this as I visited Pete, my taxidermist, today to test a buff to pedestal fitting before he starts attaching the cape to the form. The pedestal was finished a couple of weeks ago. Pete was all good to start the final work on the buff but became delayed due to being unable to obtain some clay product he needed during Lockdown. The clay arrived today so he is now full steam ahead.
Pics of:
The pedestal almost complete at the cabinet makers shop.
The pedestal the day it arrived at my home.
Buff form with trial positioning of horns ( couple of pics ).
Buff to pedestal pairing to ensure correct fitting and balance. The Buff's face is cocked slightly sideways due to a little brisket uneveness which Pete will straighten.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s looking great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much Jason. I must say I'm pleased and looking forward to seeing the finished mount. Will post more pics when we het there.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Grant hi. That is going to be a showpiece mount when done! Looking good!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Looking awesome. Buff on a pedestal is the best way to mount them.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My taxidermist Pete sent me this pic today.
Got the cape onto the form. He says it's a huge buff !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Grant! That is gonna be great.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the best and happiest update.
After some enforced CV related delays ( waiting for materials to arrive ) Pete finally finished my Buff. I took a trailer down to his shop last weekend to collect my prize. In my eyes Pete is a fabulous taxidermist and always delivers great results but I was overwhelmed with how well he captured the perfect pose with this mount. All the detail, expression and buff attitude was right there ! I walked up to the mount, almost expecting those eyes to blink.
Fitting to the pedestal was perfect and getting the display set up in my trophy room was a much easier mission than wall hanging a buff shoulder mount.
I am very, very happy to have him home and on display. Every morning so far I go there to look in wonder at those horns and remember the day of that hunt. Great times indeed.
Click on the following link for a gallery of pics. Then click on the pics to enlarge.
Cheers.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/y92W68W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two things I like very much about your Buff mount, apart from the excellent taxidermy.
The nose up position of the form you selected, and the nice simple lines of the pedestal base.
Congratulations.

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RM,
Thankyou Sir. Appreciate the comment.