New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warthog Tusks cracking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had this problem? My mount is 5 years old and the lower tusks are splitting. I may be able to repair if they completely split apart with superglue.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future?
I live im Michigan, so low humidity shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should be filled with epoxy before they are set in the mount. I have many,many boar/warthog tusks and I always fill them and have yet to have any split.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine did the same thing and superglue was what I used. Curiously the halves were not a perfect match when glued. It was as if one side had shrunk a little. I did not lose any pieces, just shrinkage. I thought that might have been the stress to make them split.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter makes some jewelry from my regular hog tusks and she fills with acrylic and uses epoxy on the exterior that can be polished. I would epoxy the split.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Mine did the same thing and superglue was what I used. Curiously the halves were not a perfect match when glued. It was as if one side had shrunk a little. I did not lose any pieces, just shrinkage. I thought that might have been the stress to make them split.

exactly, is the difference in shrinkage that differnt zone of the tusk have that make them split.

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote