Find
Notify
Tools

Giraffe Idea....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted
Giraffe may be on the menu this summer. Was thinking something like this mounted to a wall would be interesting. Mount the last vertebra to a plaque and then affix to a stud?? Opinions or modifications?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mate i think that is a cool idea but to make it a better eye pleaser you could use the skin as a back ground almost framing it as such with a wood boarder clap...just a thought....

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Yes! Side facing giraffe and hide (or even a painted giraffe pattern) on wood backing framing the neck and skull basically to the borders you see now in white. Then a nice dark Mahogany or Oak frame around the wood backing. Giraffe then hung independently on a stud and through the backing from say a pin through the atlas joint with a second pin at the lowest vertebra for stability? Same type of thing could also be done facing into the room rather than sideways. Both would look great I think. Damn, now I gotta go shoot a giraffe! Smiler

Anyone got photoshop skills to do a mockup?

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a cool idea!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better yet why not do the whole darned skeleton!!! shocker I think it's a novel idea, dont forget to take the skin bones too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have just the head mounted on mine, bc a shoulder mount is just too expensive!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
Yes! Side facing giraffe and hide (or even a painted giraffe pattern) on wood backing framing the neck and skull basically to the borders you see now in white. Then a nice dark Mahogany or Oak frame around the wood backing. Giraffe then hung independently on a stud and through the backing from say a pin through the atlas joint with a second pin at the lowest vertebra for stability? Same type of thing could also be done facing into the room rather than sideways. Both would look great I think. Damn, now I gotta go shoot a giraffe! Smiler

Anyone got photoshop skills to do a mockup?

Smiler

That sounds like a cool idea, have never thought to do a Giraffe like that I've only seen the skull on wood. And as you said now you just have to shoot one!

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those neck bones are MASSIVE aren't they? For some reaon I was thinking of them having more bones than normal....silly me. Giraff is one animal that I realy want to kill with my bow. I'd probably feel a little sad simply because they are so beautiful, but I'm sure I'll get over that.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
I'm going to have just the head mounted on mine, bc a shoulder mount is just too expensive!

And it's one of those species where the shipping costs due to volume will overwhelm completely any savings experienced by having the shoulder mount done in Africa. Solution....ship bones and inexpensively tanned hide home in a much smaller box and put together a more creative display. That is kinda at the root of my thinking anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tendrams,
I've seen the pics of these Bone mounts, and I'm sorry I just can't get excited about it. I want the skull...cause those are way cool.

yeah, I've even looked into buying a giraffe mount from a collection at auction, try to save some dough....I don't know what I'm going to do.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
Certainly something different and unique! If you are planning on it I'd try to refrain from a neck shot!

Also make sure the taxidermy prep includes a serious and thorough degreasing and preferably a dermestid cleaning or you may end up with a nasty brown display!

Re; "I'd probably feel a little sad simply because they are so beautiful, but I'm sure I'll get over that." ....

Old age in the wild equates to not being able to fend off those that would drag you down and eat you alive! So just think about the old boy's alternative and you'll have done him a great honor!

Best regards
Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote