Find
Notify
Tools

Bobcat Mount Pic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings,
Had this cat mounted a few years ago by a local taxidermist. I felt he did a good job on the base and pose but the tan job removed the cat's winter guard hairs. This was a fluffy cat and appeared much larger in the real. When I bang another one I'll have it mounted on this base I think. Comments?

-

MtnHtr

[ 10-06-2002, 07:57: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd have the next one mounted on another base or this one rebased as it is a pretty mount!
I can't comment on the guard hairs as I am not sure when you took him and if it was late spring then the guard hair could have started to slip which might explain theie lose during tanning.
Anyone involved with tanning care to take a stab at the reason?

Nice mount!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A,
I bagged him in late Jan, he was also a more smokey-grey color. He is the same cat as I compared the spot patterns before and after. He just didn't turn out like I expected I guess, most people like him though. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
From looking at the photo it appears that after the cat was mounted the hair was combed or brushed during the final grooming stage. The hair has a "slicked down" look to it.

When I had my shop all small mammals were groomed with compressed air. By back-blowing the hair and leaving the mount to dry, the mount has a much fluffier and softer look to it. With the hair standing up naturally it also gives the illusion that the cat is bigger. You probably have most of the guard hairs on the cat but just can't see them since they are brushed down.

With the mount completed and dried, I would not recommend trying to readjust the hair. If the hide was in its prime and a good tan was done on it there's a chance that it would work but if anything is not just right, it could cause hair slippage.

It's a nice looking base but from the photo I can't tell if the taxidermist made it or used a base that is available commercially from a taxidermy supply house.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote