THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Looking for a US taxidermist for traditional euro mount

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a US taxidermist for traditional euro mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a US taxidermist that will do a proper “long cut” (teeth off - eye sockets intact) European mount on some skull mounts I have in the garage. I don’t trust my bandsaw skills.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 160 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find someone local. Shipping them will be expensive and the the way they are cut will make the skulls more fragile. A finish carpenter in your area would probably be just as good.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Where are you located?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1544 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Located in Northern Virginia.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I use a table mounted belt sander (not a band saw) to make Euro mounts of skulls just like the example in the photo you provided. I pull the teeth with a big pair of pliers and then use the belt sander to make a smooth flat surface on the back of the skull. As long as the skulls are properly cleaned and dried, the sanding process takes about 5 minutes. If you use a taxidermist, make sure you show him that photo so you get them done exactly how you like them. Good luck.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What grit paper are you using on the belt sander?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I'm at the office on this rainy Saturday morning, so I can't look for the exact grit number, but I can tell you it is a coarse grit and I think that any coarse grit would work well. Your are removing material from the part of the skull you will not see, so a mirror-smooth finish is not required. The reason I started doing the skulls myself is because I could ensure they were done exactly how I wanted them done. Now I enjoy doing it. I do them for friends on occasion.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Friday:
For what it's worth, I use a table mounted belt sander (not a band saw) to make Euro mounts of skulls just like the example in the photo you provided. I pull the teeth with a big pair of pliers and then use the belt sander to make a smooth flat surface on the back of the skull. As long as the skulls are properly cleaned and dried, the sanding process takes about 5 minutes. If you use a taxidermist, make sure you show him that photo so you get them done exactly how you like them. Good luck.

Another way that you can accomplish this at home is to leave the teeth in and cut the skull with an angle grinder equipped with a cut-off wheel.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do my own, have for years..I also use a 6"x36 belt sander and extra 60 grit..then fill the brain pan with Glass bedding to hold a hanger..but any taxidermist worth his salt can do them just like you want..This is the easy part, cleaning and bleaching the skulls is the hard part Im told, but I do that also.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote