New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 Month Turnaround
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fed up waiting a year or more to receive your trophy's back from the taxidermist ??

Maybe its time to make a move..

We love what we do, but more importantly we run a business..

4 Month turnaround on all 2010 Safari's.

Personal delivery and set up in your home or office.

Check out our website..

Posts: 66 | Location: North Central Wisconsin | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Hello, Brenda and Jim. Welcome to AR. Are you two doing the murals and diorama habitats? They look great!
How did the Wisconcin Show go? PM me.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mary and Chris... Thanks for the welcome..
Yes we do it all... murals, dioramas, the rock wall with the Baboons is a work waterfall

Our show was FANTASTIC !! good weather for a change, which made a big difference in attendence..

Posts: 66 | Location: North Central Wisconsin | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I can't get a 4 month turn around on US taxidermy.

I shot a whitetail last December and asked the taxidermist when the mount would be ready and he said that they would start on the taxidermy by the end of June.

WTF? What are they doing from the end of hunting season on Jan 1st until June?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I’ll do my best to answer your question..

A June completion date on your December deer head sounds correct to me, that’s a 6 month turnaround.

Here in our studio when the bear season starts in early Sept. running into Oct. the taxidermy production pretty much stops. Our focus is on all the fresh animals coming in, with skinning, fleshing and salting the hides. All of this takes time away from mounting, but is all part of running a studio. There is a break between bear season and when our deer season starts in November. Once the deer season starts, production stops again and the focus goes to prepping the deer capes for tanning. We ship out all of our tanning, and this is done in large batches not one skin at a time. So for example, a client might bring in a deer on the 14th of November, but his cape might not leave our facility till the 14th of January for the tannery. This is explained to each of our clients and they are given the option to use our rush service at an additional cost to them. Basically its about running an efficient business..

Our offer of a 4 month turnaround on Safari’s is accomplished because once our clients skins are cleared in the U.S. they are shipped directly to our tannery. It doesn’t matter if its 6 skins or 26 skins, they go directly to the tannery.

One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I can't get a 4 month turn around on US taxidermy.

I shot a whitetail last December and asked the taxidermist when the mount would be ready and he said that they would start on the taxidermy by the end of June.

WTF? What are they doing from the end of hunting season on Jan 1st until June?
Most quality studios offer "rush" service for a extra price fee. Mine does also. For over 35 years I have offered wild sheep shoulder mounts completed within four months at no extra charge and I even manage to finish most of them brought in even as late as Oct. by Christmas every year. Its because I make sheep mounts a priority. Some big shops with several employees are now offering super fast turn around on everthing mainly because most of them do not have any one employee working on any single project through start to finish as a small studio would. They have employees that tan or flesh only, others prep only, others model only, others sew only, others finish work only, others ship and crate only, etc, etc. Assembly line production. Big budjet, big and fast "production". Not that thats bad and some produce excellent quality like this; it is just not what to expect from most taxidermy artists family run studios, even from the best of them.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking work!

Owen

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks but the taxidermist didn't say that my trophy would be ready by the end of June but that they would start their taxidermy work on the first ones that arrived last season by the end of June.

It might be that they flesh and salt all the hides and send them out to the tannery in one big group but how long does the tannery take to turn them around? The end of June just seems like a long time to start on the mounts.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote