THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    What will a good cape buffalo shoulder mount sell for

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will a good cape buffalo shoulder mount sell for
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I realize that this is kind of rhetorical question like, "How long is a piece of string".

I want to sell one of my cape buffalo shoulder mounts. It is a middle aged bull with jet black hair. It was done by Bullseye taxidermy. it is in the sneak left position and hanging in my sons office at our plant.It's so impressive that it bother some of the customers who are there to focus on business. I need to sell it as I have no wall spice left in my house.

I haven idea what I should as for it. Can anyone help me figure out a starting price for it.

Much appreciated, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will be lucky to get 25% of what you paid for the mount. I have attended wildlife art and taxidermy auctions and have noticed several things: most people have no idea what constitutes good taxidermy or bad taxidermy, the general public doesn't know a Cape Buffalo from a plate of Buffalo wings, African game in general sells for far less than North American game for some reason. Even if your piece is exceptional, someone can always get one just like it for less money. Sorry to sound negative, but that's just what I have seen in my travels. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gracedog. I think that you are right. I am finding out that they do not sell worth darned. You are not negative but realistic and helpful. Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto , Gracedog !

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Taxidermy has little value other than to the hunter who took it. I've had widows call telling me they want to get rid of the husbands mounts and I have to break the news to them that they're worthless. Unless you have a record book animal, few people want someone else's trophy. I've seen lots of nice mounts going into dumpster after the seller couldn't even give them away.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lollibros.com/taxid...g-taxidermy-blow-out

Brian,

Lolli Brothers has three for sale $400-485, see link.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 42" Buff & Kudu just sold on another forum for pennys on the dollar. Just the way it is.

Posts: 177 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw this thread and boy is it timely.

Moving to a leased house while we build a new one. No room at the lease, and have decided not to hang my mounts in the new one. Been beating bushes trying to find anyone interested in my African stuff. I can't seem to be able to give them away.

I even tried the local boy scout troop which has a pretty nice facility and offered to donate them. Not interested.

When I started my African hunting career some 20years ago I was told this day would come. Might have to literally throw stuff away.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWL, I never did find anyone who would pay money for my buffalo mount.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
When I moved to a new home 4 years ago, I knew I didn’t have enough space for all my trophies so I tried to sell some. Ended up giving away kudu, blue wildebeest, gemsbok, impala shoulder mounts, plus full body steenbok and warthogs. It was hard to even give them away.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Maybe a restaurant would be interested in it in your area? BBQ place?

I keep telling myself if I ever want a fish mount or wild hog mount I will just buy one on Ebay. Getting one mounted around here is around $800-$900 for a hog. A local antique store has one for $300 that would do just fine.

I'm just now in the works of looking for a lake home around Dallas / Fort Worth and it'll have to have a trophy room along with an acre+ of land and a shop in the backyard for all of the toys. Don't want to get rid of any mounts

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This issue has become quite the conversation with my family and friends, revealing a wide range of opinion.

I feel respect for, and a sense of obligation to the animal(s) I've killed. Difficult for me to articulate my feelings about this clearly, but I can't bring myself to simply throw the mounts away. Not sure how to deal with this in an ethical way.

For now, the plan is to photograph them in detail and put them in storage. It's a problem I'll have to deal with later.

Do my thoughts make sense to any of you?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Wait until you try to sell off your rifles! Stuff is really only worth to you what you gave for it. Anything more or less is in the eye of (another) beholder. Enjoy your stuff every day until it's someone else's junk. You've already honored the animals and will continue to do so in memory.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
We have a seafood restaurant in my part of Jacksonville that is a "must see" for all kinds of taxidermy. As one person said, above, maybe a BBQ place or in coastal areas, seafood restaurants--as a donation, I expect, not to buy.

What about gun stores? Most I've been to have taxidermy on their walls.

I have three sons, and I have in my will who gets what of my animals. After that, they can keep them if they want or dispose of them however they please. At that point it's their problem, not mine.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can donate your mounts to your local High School Agriculture class -- those schools that offer FFA would love to have these mounts on the classroom walls.

Posts: 1 | Location: Houston | Registered: 30 July 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by george roof:
Taxidermy has little value other than to the hunter who took it. I've had widows call telling me they want to get rid of the husbands mounts and I have to break the news to them that they're worthless. Unless you have a record book animal, few people want someone else's trophy. I've seen lots of nice mounts going into dumpster after the seller couldn't even give them away.

This would be my response. I have a Cape buffalo mount. I would have no interest in buying any mounts. Possible exception would be very rare or large one that I might flip for a profit. Unless I was involved in the hunt, it has no value to me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote