THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Did he really lose his arm?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did he really lose his arm?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
https://gizmodo.com/guy-gets-s...-i-wanted-1840748758

Guy Gets Severed Arm Preserved by Taxidermist: 'I Wanted to Do Something Cool'

Illustration for article titled Guy Gets Severed Arm Preserved by Taxidermist: I Wanted to Do Something Cool
Photo: Legends Taxidermy & Skull Cleaning
Lots of people have two arms. Far fewer can say they have one on a shelf by their sink. A 37-year-old Canadian man recently joined this exclusive club, turning his amputated limb into a unique conversation piece thanks to a helpful taxidermist—and a hungry colony of beetles.

20 years ago, Mark Holmgren crashed on a motorbike, tearing the nerves in his shoulder and leaving his right arm numb and unmovable. Initially, he hoped the injured arm could be fixed. As the years dragged on, however, his mind turned to other possibilities.

“I wanted to do something cool with it,” Holmgren told CBC Radio. “I always see those Halloween decorations with a hand holding an ashtray or something like that. That’s where I got the idea from.”

Screenshot: CTV News
Just a few weeks after getting his arm medically amputated (and signing the appropriate paperwork), Holmgren was given his macabre memento in a plastic garbage bag. The next step was finding a taxidermist who was up for the challenge.

“A couple of them told me no, like right away,” he told CTV News. “There was no way that they were going to touch human body parts.”

Eventually, Holmgren reached out to Danielle Swift, who runs Legends Taxidermy and Skull Cleaning with her husband David. After getting over her initial disbelief, Swift was more than willing to lend a hand. “I thought, whoa, that’s weird but, whoa, that’s cool,” she told CBC News.

“Mark brought his arm here, but I had to make sure he actually only had one arm attached to his body,” said Swift, “because you don’t want someone bringing you a random arm.”

Swift enlisted a colony of flesh-eating beetles to clean the arm before bleaching the bones, CBC News reports. Next, she consulted with a physiotherapist friend to help assemble the skeletal limb. Finally, Swift delivered the arm to Holmgren just before Christmas—giving him something special to bring to dinner with his family.

When it comes to the future of the arm, Holmgren’s plans are much more modest.

“I’ll probably put a nail in the wall and hang it up like a picture,” said Holmgren. “Right now it’s behind my sink. There is a little shelf behind there with some flowers and plants and stuff.”

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes he did, some people are just whacky and others are willing to make a buck off them. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AND some are really unlucky.

Late friend and cousin Eddie Higgins
was born without arms at all.

Hell of a guy, someone had to cut his
meat up, otherwise he fed himself
and drove most any car or truck, even
my late FIL's D-8 Cat.

Someone worked with him to shoot a deer
with a rifle too.

Look him up on the web sometime.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote