Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermist in Vancouver
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted
G'day all, I am looking for recommendations for a Taxidermist that does great Black Bear Mounts.....
Will be coming over next April ,from Australia, to hunt Vancouver Island and keen to have the "bull of the Boar" mounted there and then shipped home.
Taxidermist would have to be happy to do the paperwork that goes with shipping overseas.
Thanks in Advance
Scott
Australia

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Maybe this could help.
Ron's Wildlife Services is a shipper of hunting trophies from BC. They are based right next to the airport in Vancouver. They have reliably shipped for me two or three times and have been very good to deal with. They handle all necessary paperwork post what the taxidermist provides.
They will know of taxidermists in Vancouver. Perhaps you could ask for their recommendation and an estimate for shipping a full body Black Bear mount.
https://www.trophyshipper.com/
You have probably done this already but compare the cost of shipping your Black Bear cape from BC and having a taxidermist do the mount in Oz. Personally I ship from overseas and give work to my NZ taxidermist. I think it's valuable be alongside a taxidermist you know and trust. If issues occur you would be near enough ( assumed ) to look at the work and find solutions. Good taxidermists are good wherever they are. You won't necessarily find better just because they are "over there".
Anyway, best of luck whichever way you go.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Thanks 30'06.

Will definitely get in contact with them and see what they come up with.

Biggest issue with using a Taxidermist back here on Oz is basically the lack of Taxidermists that have enough experience in doing bears to do justice to the animal.

Used a Taxidermist in.the states for my grizzly/wolf/caribou from Alaska and was extremely happy with the lifelike result. only issue was the "extra" work involved in the paperwork for shipping back here to Oz.

Thanks
Scott

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Walker at Walkers Wilderness Studio Inc. 780 924 3200 . Edmonton, Alberta

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second what Ricardo C said.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I don't think Ken is doing commercial work any more. He spends a great deal of time in Europe and Africa making molds for his own company out of Austria I think..

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The problem is the Australian side.

Some dickhead taxidermist convinced the Australian Agriculture protection service that he should be the only taxidermist capable of certifying salted skins into Australia. There are plenty of good taxidermist in Australia, but the problem is the clearing agent.

A mate of mine was quoted $1500 to clear a salted skin at the airport.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote